FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding from AMA'd Canon h.264 to DnxHD different in MC6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic Lumiere
Transcoding from AMA'd Canon h.264 to DnxHD different in MC6
on Mar 1, 2012 at 7:01:57 pm

Looks like MC6 is showing the whole colorspace range 0-255 when transcoding from AMA clips (Canon 5D) where MC5.5 was clipping to 16-235?

Even a simple link to AMA in MC6 looks like it has more dynamic range than it did in MC5.5 - Did something change?

Also looks like QT isn't showing the whole range where MPEG Streamingclip is.

Anyone else notice a difference?

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Transcoding from AMA'd Canon h.264 to DnxHD different in MC6
on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:21:49 am

v6 (maybe 5.5, can't remember) added the ability to change black and white levels on QT sources via clip highlight->right click->source settings. You can choose to "leave as is", scale to graphic levels, or scale to video levels.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Mar 2, 2012 at 4:54:56 pm

Yep makes sense and it looks like the default in MC6 is "leave as is" where the default in 5.5 was to compress to video levels (looked washed out like in QT). Or perhaps it was the perian QT component (which I now deleted). QT still looks a little lighter even without the perian component.

Once the clip has been transcoded to DnxHD, it looks like it's too late to change the video levels (the data has been deleted). So I'm assuming that I should re-transcode all clips that were transcoded in 5.5, right?

It's only 100 hours... :-0

Thanks for your help Michael!

F

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 3, 2012 at 4:45:22 pm

Yes. I noticed this as well when I transcoded some material on my home system (v6.01) for a job on another system running 5.03.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]