FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid work flow?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Schmitt
Avid work flow?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:17:44 pm

Hi,

I am gearing up to be working with 2 separate avids' where all of the DSLR footage will be living on one drive shared between the producer and my self.

Q's: Does it matter if my Producer has News Cutter, MC, MC soft? And if they have Media Composer 6 will that interfere with my MC5.5?

-Once we have the footage I will go through the transcoding process. Obviously I should direct ALL of my media to our external hard drive that we'll be sharing. Correct?

-And if my Producer is creating sequences on her machine. What's the best way for me to see these sequences?

Anything Helps.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid work flow?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:51:27 pm

[Dustin Schmitt] "Q's: Does it matter if my Producer has News Cutter, MC, MC soft? And if they have Media Composer 6 will that interfere with my MC5.5?"

No. You can work on a project in MC 5.5, and someone can open the same project in MC6...MC4...heck, MC3! The only issues you will have is if you use features available in the later versions that the earlier versions don't have. Like AMA of H.264...works "OK" in MC6, but not at all in MC4 or MC3.5. If you convert (highly recommended) all the footage to DNxHD, you will be golden.

[Dustin Schmitt] "-Once we have the footage I will go through the transcoding process. Obviously I should direct ALL of my media to our external hard drive that we'll be sharing. Correct?"

Correct.

[Dustin Schmitt] "-And if my Producer is creating sequences on her machine. What's the best way for me to see these sequences? "

Well, I know with UNITY and ISIS, hardware shared storage solutions, you can both open the same project file. THis is done all the time. You can even open the same bins, with the extinction that the first person to open that bin is the only one that can make changes to it. It is locked to them. Does this work on shared projects NOT on Unity or ISIS? I don't know...never tried. If you want to keep separate projects, then you can give each other the bin containing the sequence they want to share. That's done on the FINDER level in the Project folder. Drag, drop...open.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:58:31 pm

OK...got confirmation. You cannot project share PROPERLY without Unity/ISIS...or EditShare. The locking of bins happens via those options. Without bin locking, if multiple users access the same bins then you might be overwriting over each other...which can be very bad.

No, you'd be better off having media on the drive, have your own projects that access that media, and swap bins.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dustin Schmitt
on Mar 1, 2012 at 12:13:29 am

Perfect!

Thanks Shane.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved