FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it ok for AVID to be slow with AMA footage?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alec gitelman
Is it ok for AVID to be slow with AMA footage?
on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:19:35 pm

Hi,

I have a project with about 8-9 hours of footage in quicktime files with XDCam 1080p media. I am using AMA to link to those files. Editing is painfully slow - playback is fine, but every action takes a few seconds to execute, sometimes with the beach ball running while the system is thinking. I've tried opening a sample project from a training course using MXF media and it seems to be quite snappy.

I am running software only version of Media Composer 6 on a Mac Pro.
2x2.8Ghz Quad-Core Xeon
12 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB

Is there anything I can do to make it better?

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
Re: Is it ok for AVID to be slow with AMA footage?
on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:34:55 pm

[alec gitelman] "Is there anything I can do to make it better?"

Transcode. Clear space on your drive and let it start tonight. Not a fun solution with 8-9 hours, but it would be even worse if it was H.264.

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:47:39 pm

So if I understand it correctly, AMA is not designed for editing but only for quick access? If so, why isn't it said so explicitly?

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:06:24 pm

It kind of is AMA="Avid Media Access"

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:21:47 pm

The longer the clip, the slower the system will get - especially with non-native codec files like H.264. How long are your files in duration?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:37:19 pm

Some are quite long. 20-50 minutes. Some are shorter.

So avid does not really allow native media editing in a true sense of the word? There's just too many caveats it seems.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:38:38 pm

[alec gitelman] "So avid does not really allow native media editing in a true sense of the word? "

No. Avid's work best with Avid media. If you want a smooth experience, you need to transcode.

I blame Avid Marketting for not making this more clear. Too many people try to AMA footage and work native and working native is NOT how Avid works.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:09:34 am

would I be ok transcoding to XDCAM MXF for should I transcode to DNxHD?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:56:54 pm

I have been editing with AVID 5.5.3 using many hours of xdcam footage with no issues whatsoever. Didn't want to have to transcode and haven't. I will consolidate shortly, but AMA works great for me at the moment. Make sure you have the correct Sony codec for your version of AVID installed.

Regards,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Roy Gilbert
on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:50:45 am

It seems to be a little pot luck with AMA. I have about 30 hours of CANON XF MPEG-2 422 50Mbits and it seems to be pretty snappy. Opening and closing sequences can take a few seconds. My last similar project I transcoded the whole lot to DNxHD 120, and of course that was faster to work with but took up a LOT of space.

It might be worth considering linking AMA, then making selects, trashing the footage you know you won't need, then transcoding those selects to DNxHD.

Of course, if you need any of the stuff you discarded, it is still there AMA linked.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:08:40 am

Yes the key factor with AMA is the codec it's been aquired in. MPEG2 is a low demand codec so it's easy to code and decode. H264 is the other extreme and takes a massive amount of CPU power to unpack. But does come as very small file footprint.
So if you have a fast powerful CPU you can access H264 content and play ok but for anything less AMA, make selects, don;t trash anything just tuck unused AMA clips away in a bin. Transcode the rest either to offline or direct online and edit (if the offline route the re-link back at the end)
I've created a course for VET
http://www.vet.co.uk/site/training/scheduled_courses/avid_ama_ingest_and_ex...

That specifically covers the various workflows for getting the best from AMA

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

jason ahluwalia
on Apr 4, 2014 at 9:21:56 pm

I have avid MC 6 on my desktop, avid mc 7 on my new laptop..both qualified machines. On Avid mc 6 I can link to ama volumn for my canon xf305 mxf files and edit seemlessly...in fact it works brilliantly. However my c100 files will link (had to update the ama anchd codecs) and though they link fine they play with a few seconds delay which makes editing a real chore....so I import the files which takes a bit of time and space on my drives but editing is then fine. On my Avid MC 7 on the laptop it is the opposite, I can link seemelessly to my canon c100 files and edit with no problem...BUT...it will not allow me to link to my canon xf305 mxf files! So they have to be imported. What a headache!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]