FORUMS: list search recent posts

Additive dissolve / film bloom effect in Avid MC?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Wing
Additive dissolve / film bloom effect in Avid MC?
on Feb 23, 2012 at 7:42:22 pm

Hi there,
I've done a lot of searching on various forums and across google but I still can't seem to get what I'm after. It goes without saying that Avid lacks what FCP/Premiere call an "additive dissolve." In Avid you can dip to white as a color, but what I'm after is more of a dissolve between the brightest points of each clip, a sort of blowing out of the highlights.

I think it would be best to provide an example. I'm working on a project and the director and I are inspired by the way it was done in "The Diving Bell and The Butterfly":

(from around 0:34 to the end) -- The highlights bloom out and back in between clips.

(Same here... like an overexposure in the film gate, blowing out and blending into the next.)

That said, what ways could I achieve this with AVID using the regular tools? That is, without using BCC/Sapphire/etc.

I found some posts around the internet that recommended something like, having a filler track on V2 with a color effect that has a keyframed luma range, with the luma range blown out at the cut and back, but I tried this and it looks nothing like what I'm going for. Yes, it gets brighter, but I find it really unpleasant looking. I'm up to try things but I'm at a loss and I'm thinking it shouldn't be that complicated, it's a technique I've seen a lot of places... ?!

Thanks everyone. Oh, and if it helps, I'm running MC 5.5.2 on a mac.

Return to posts index

Paul Lewis
Re: Additive dissolve / film bloom effect in Avid MC?
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:22:11 pm

see this tutorial.....=:)

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/Film_Flash.php

Cheers,
Paul Lewis

Return to posts index

Paul Lewis
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:26:51 pm

Here are some clips that might work, $39 right now,
as of 2/23/2012

http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/luster-film-burns-12-pack

Cheers,
Paul Lewis

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:33:37 pm

That's film flashes, OP was asking about additive dissolves.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Wing
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:35:14 pm

Paul, I appreciate your response, but yes, that isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Also I'm trying to keep it in Avid and as simple as possible. A film burn effect could work with an ADD transfer mode over two clips dissolving together, but I'm not really going for obvious film burn or colorized film looks so much as blooming highlights / overexposure kind of thing. Thank you though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]