FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Basics

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lloyd Paul Rivers
The Basics
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:15:46 pm

I have just deleted and re installed AVID 6. How do i correctly set it up? I have a 2 TB my western digital EXT HD that i can use. I have checked on the root of my internal mac HD and there is no Avid MediaFiles Folder there. Its confusing as i installed it 2 weeks ago and it run straight away.

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
Re: The Basics
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:25:02 pm

You use your "Media Creation" Tool. To designate where the Avid Media Files will go. You can also specify whey you consolidate/transcode which drive they will go on.

If they are on your Mac HD they are usually put in your "Documents" folder. Its not a good idea to have your media files on your internal drive.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Lloyd Paul Rivers
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:33:23 pm

can u take some screen shots so i kn0ow what goes where? media files i.e stuff shot on the 5d yes? keep all them on my external? Once i have imported them into avid wont the media files then be on my imac? will i need my ext connected all the time? wheres the best place to put transcoded data?

really debating taking my machine to uni and get the lecturer to explain how it all works.

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:48:26 pm

All you need to know is to point the Avid to your external drive that you are storing media on. It will put things in the proper folders. Avid organizes itself. Just let it do its thing. Yes you will need your external drive connected all the time. It has all your media files. There will be a folder labeled "Avid Media Files". Again, leave it alone! It is bad practice to have media files on your system drive. You are way overcomplicating this. Connect the external drive, point the Avid to it, import, transcode, etc. That is it.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

sam goldwater
on Feb 23, 2012 at 5:12:15 pm

Scott, are you of the opinion that it's best to do all transcoding (from h264 or whatever) internally? I've been transcoding in Streamclip to DNxHD 36 Mov, then Avid 'fast imports' rushes to wrap MXF. That way MC isn't locked processing files for hours. Only downside is it's another duplication of media..

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Feb 23, 2012 at 5:16:52 pm

There are pros and cons. Like you said, if you do it externally, you don't tie up the Avid. But, also like you said, you then have an extra layer of media management. I do it within Avid but generally let it run overnight. Also, it seems that AMA linking and then consolidating or transcoding is faster than importing.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Feb 23, 2012 at 5:28:36 pm

[sam goldwater] "Scott, are you of the opinion that it's best to do all transcoding (from h264 or whatever) internally? I've been transcoding in Streamclip to DNxHD 36 Mov, then Avid 'fast imports' rushes to wrap MXF. That way MC isn't locked processing files for hours. Only downside is it's another duplication of media.."

if you do that, it might not be easy to go back to native files on sequence only for online transcode at the end.

one of AMA's advantages

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

sam goldwater
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:36:28 pm

Oh, balls. It appears I have run into that exact problem. I'll stick to load ama/transcode workflow from now on.

In the mean time, is it possible to link to media that's never yet been known to the project? When I load the originals by ama, select them, and try to right click/relink the sequence from 'selected items in all open bins' - I get, 'no clips were linked'.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]