FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding Specs MXF file

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morgan Mendieta
Encoding Specs MXF file
on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:03:18 am

I neeed help exporting a file.

I am a Final Cut Pro user but I need to export a file with the following specs.

XDCAM HD422 in MXF Container

MXF Operational Pattern: OP1A

Video:
1920x1080
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Frame Rate : 25 Frames/s
Sequence Header: on Each GOP
Field Dominance : Topfield First
GOP Lenght : 12
Sub-GOP Lenght : 3
Bit Rate: 50MBit/s
Chroma Subsampling

Timecode
SMPTE 328m TimeCode in Picture User Data

Audio
Codec: PCM
Sample Rate : 48 kHz
Bits/ Sample : 24
Max. Channels per file: 8

This is what they game me. Now I am not an Avit user at all. I will be using the lates avid to export.

Any help would be greatful.

My source video is a quicktime 1920x1080 mov right out of Final Cut Pro.

morgan@dedpnda.com

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Encoding Specs MXF file
on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:49:26 pm

Once you have the file inside MC version 6, this is very simple and straightforward:

Select the clip in the bin (or the timeline you created), and choose File->Export, and choose MXF Op1A from the menu. Then, when asked, choose XDCAM-HD and 50MBits/s.

However, you will need to bring the file into MC. And you will need to check if everything is OK, mostly color space (especially since this comes from FCP) and field order.

I would create a 1920x1080/50i project in Avid. Then Choose File->Link to AMA file, and specify your source clip.

The color corrector features a Y-Waveform and a Vectorscope if you need to check levels (toss the clip in a sequence first).

If the levels appear to be wrong, go to the bin, select the clip and choose Clip->Source Settings, and specify the source's color space there.

Check field order to be sure, and timecode too, since your specifications seem to require some timecode (would be nice to know which).

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:51:08 pm

Oh, two more things, make sure your L and R audio channels are panned hard L/R, or you'll unintentionally make things mono.

Also, when asked to specify the resolution (XDCAM HD 50MBits/s), also specify 24bit audio, since your specs mention that.

Return to posts index

Morgan Mendieta
on Feb 23, 2012 at 7:56:49 pm

Wow thank you.

Unfortunately I have - 0 expertise with MC im so used to FCP. I dont know how to do half these things.

Pan Audio HARD LEFT / RIGHT haha but im sure a google search will resolve that for me.

Thanks so much for your help.

One question. is there a way to make these settings for when I need to do this again?

like in Final Cut studio I can use compressor to make presets or droplets?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:25:11 pm

Well, I think you can click 'Save As' as soon as you made the right settings. So next time, just select that export from the dropdown menu at the bottom of the export window.

Panning is done in the Audio Mix Tool, and uses pretty self-explanatory virtual pan pots.

Return to posts index

Morgan Mendieta
on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:54:28 pm

I see. make sense.

I also found an XDCamTransfer plugin from Sony, for FCP which lets you export to .mxf container. Im going to give that a try if it does not work I will return to MC. I should just learn some MC.

But thank you so much for your help. I will give it a go.

-Morgan

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:34:37 pm

Of course you should learn MC ;-)

Kidding aside, the specified MXF Op1a seems to me like it is plain vanilla XDCAM-HD-50. If you can make something like that with XDCAM Transfer, and the result is something you could drag onto an XDCAM drive, you are probably OK.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]