FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Transition to MC6 - wits' end

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam goldwater
FCP Transition to MC6 - wits' end
on Feb 22, 2012 at 1:11:05 pm

Hey peeps,

I wouldn't post without a whole morning's worth of Googling - which I've now done and am no wiser than yesterday.

Window focus.

To stay mouseless as possible in FCP I cmd+1 (or whichever 1,2,3,4 it is, I forget) for bin focus, down arrow for select next, enter to load to viewer, jkl/io for selection, f9 to drop and cmd+1 to begin the process again.

If there's nothing useful in the clip then it's just cmd+1, down arrow for next, enter, watch, and cmd+1 and so on to check the next.

I'm not desperate to shoe-horn FCP workflow to MC but I have to ask - how do MC users perform this simple navigation? Or is there some other methodology to rushes viewing I'm not aware of? Tell me you guys don't double click, watch, double click, watch...

I'm enjoying the power of MC, particularly coming usually from Premiere (PC user), but I can't make the jump if I've got to use the mouse more even than one has to in Premiere.

The closest thing I can find to this workflow is 'find bin', mapped to a nearby key like shift+1, but then if you want to view the timeline before switching back to the bin, then 'find bin' coming from the timeline will, obviously, load the clip that's in the sequence, not return to your last selected bin clip from the source view. (Unless you 'Esc' to switch to source view focus before 'find bin', which just seems like an extra step I'd prefer to avoid).

Am I crazy? What's the sensible mouseless flow between bins, timeline and source view?

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: FCP Transition to MC6 - wits' end
on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:49:27 pm

Command 0 is timeline.. Command 4 is Source/Record. Bins escape me at the moment but you can do the same up down arrow, enter to load clip to source as in FCP.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

sam goldwater
on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:55:49 pm

Yes, I see those shortcuts exist, but I still can't help feeling like I'm missing something.

How do pro avid users navigate? What's the flow around the keyboard?

Currently I'm mapping Tab to toggle source/record, I'm using that constantly, but Scott Simmons of Editblog has it all the way up at Esc, http://www.flickr.com/photos/editblog/208694025/ - basically I can't find any video or written explanations of fast workflow, however users customise it. All material I'm finding only covers basics.

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:32:53 pm

I created my own FCP style keyboard shortcuts. There are equivalents to most all FCP keyboard shortcuts in AVID. You can map just about any key. I still use my FCP logic keyboard in Avid and I'm just as fast as I was in FCP.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Mike Lowther
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:55:18 pm

Does Avid allow you to export your keyboard settings, as FCP does? If so, would you mind sending it to me? I would love you forever.

maazer@gmail.com

THANKS!!!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:02:49 pm

i think its different for everyone, but mostly i see people sticking with the stock layout of the keyboard, and then i use the shift and command keys to make whatever additional ones i need. The layout is def different from FCp but after time youll get used to it. I find the stock KB layout pretty intuitive.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

sam goldwater
on Feb 23, 2012 at 5:07:07 pm

And how you you guys get between timeline and your current bin to load the next clip?

Right now I'm doing this:

from timeline:

TAB - toggle source record - to switch to source
shft + 1 - find bin - focuses bin window with the last clip loaded to source, generally my last place in rushes filtering.
Down arrow, Enter - load next clip
jkl/io/vb - etc

Return to posts index

Jonathan Wing
on Feb 23, 2012 at 7:28:57 pm

I'm not totally sure about that shortcut, but here are a few perhaps helpful resources:

Comprehensive shortcut list: http://hershleder.com/content/keyboard-shortcuts-keyboard-shortcuts-avid-me...

Some info on bin shortcuts: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/91333.aspx

Also, remember that your keyboard is highly customizable. I kept the most essential things from the default layout but there are a number of things I customized in the keyboard settings that suit my workflow. I'd recommend opening the keyboard in your settings panel and then hit cmd+3 for the command palette and with 'button-to-button reassignment' selected choose the tools that make sense for you. Other AVID users might find some of my layout confusing but it suits what I need and do on a daily basis. Maybe you'll find more bin and navigational things in there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]