FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing large numbers of still, best practice

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Importing large numbers of still, best practice
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:07:59 am

I will have a huge number of still images for a documentary I am working on. In the 1000's. What is the best workflow to bring these into MC6. We will be using Avid Pan+Zoom to mock up some moves on them and then have a graphic artist do the final move in AE and deliver us QT files. My question is with such a large number of stills, all sizes and formats, do I need to prep them prior to importing them if they are simply going to be a proxy?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Sean Marks
Re: Importing large numbers of still, best practice
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:57:54 am

I worked on a documentary with a similar issue. All I can offer is what I did:

1. Bring them in exactly as you wish them to look in the final project. Don't assume your AE artist will know what has to be pillarboxed, stretched, etc. It's a lot of work, but you will save yourself headaches later on.

2. Keep color spaces consistent. On my show, we worked with a lot of photos from the 80's and 90's. In the offline, they looked fine, but in the online we found that they were in CMYK. It gave them a sickly greenish tint in hi-res. If you can, bring them all into photoshop and export in RGB (I may be talking out of my ass here - I didn't have to do that part).

3. Are you working on a Unity? If so, when you link via Pan and Zoom, keep all the photos on the desktop in a generic folder (i.e., Episode 1 Photos). Link to that. When you bring them into the online, copy that folder onto the desktop. They should all re-link. If you link them from a Unity, keep in mind that sometimes those drive letters change. If that happens, you're stuck re-linking everything (Avid was looking for them on Drive H, for example, but now Drive H is Drive R). The C drive, however, is always the C drive.

Hope that helps a little.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]