FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accessing media files in different root folders?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Reynolds
Accessing media files in different root folders?
on Feb 22, 2012 at 12:20:16 am

Hi

I am going to be importing some existing projects together with their media to cut something new in a new project. Does all the media from those projects have to be put together in the same folder - 'Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1' - to be simultaneously accessible, or can I keep the media files for each of the old projects separate in, say, folders 1, 2, & 3 etc. (for house-keeping purposes) and still access it all within my new project? How would that work?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
Re: Accessing media files in different root folders?
on Feb 22, 2012 at 1:31:10 am

Yes if you prefer you can keep them all in different folders inside the Avid Mediafiles/MXF/1/2/3. Although I'm not sure how efficient this is for house keeping- if you need just the files from one project just consolidate.

You can also access them all off different drives if they all happen to live on independently from one another.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:59:02 pm

few house keeping tips :)

Avid will always write to the folder named "1" in your MXF folder
it will read out of any number (even non sequential, so 2,3, and 27 are good)

if you want to separate transcoded/captured/consolidated/imported media,
you can rename the 1 folder any other number before you start your process, Avid will recreate a 1 and write to it.
when done rename it again.
just keep track on some text file as to which number refers to what project.

also, renders will keep writing to the current 1 project and sometimes you have to transcode mid-project... just keep watch.

thing is, if you master the Media Tool well, you can do most of your house keeping from there, including, accessing, deleting and moving media and render files of any project on your drive.

i wouldn't go the way of renaming the MediaFile folder to separate projects, unless its a completely external project you want to fully separate from your other projects.

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Drew Reynolds
on Mar 4, 2012 at 9:08:34 pm

Thanks Hector - some useful tips there. Perhaps it doesn't matter if everything is in folder 1 - if that's where Avid prefers it to be. I suppose I was likening Avid media to all my photos, music, and documents - I wouldn't want them all together in one enormous folder. But I guess that's the wrong analogy, and the Media Tool should allow me to access even individual files in folder 1 if I needed to - no matter how much stuff is in it. You're right - mastering Media Tool is the key...

I may be back with more questions when I start the job!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]