FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer and Sony Vegas

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mynor de León
Media Composer and Sony Vegas
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:30:50 am

Hi there, Im wondering if someone of you have worked with vegas, and if you can tell me how different do you think it is.

Im a vegas user but I´ve heard AVID is the software big video enterprises and producers are using right now.

by the way, I saw the system requirements on AVID website, with vegas I don´t need that much but, I will buy a new machine soon, so, you maybe can tell me if I can work fine with the minimum requirements AVID suggested on their website.

Thanks for the help and the time.

Mynor

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
Re: Media Composer and Sony Vegas
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:21:44 am

Hey I started on vegas a few years ago. I loved it and finished alot if projects with it. When I turned to Avid it was a very frustrating couple of weeks. What Avid has won me over with is trimming, once you get use to that kind of control and options with your edits its weird to use other nle's and feels limiting. I also saw improved quality in my rendered movies, although. I was using an
old version of vegas so idk might be different now.

Download the trial and see how it runs on your pc

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:08:29 pm

I used Vegas for years and years. After Sony bought the application, customer support went to hell, along with the reliability. Vegas is a very capable NLE, but, the constant crashes and bugs was so annoying, I finally switched over to Avid. That was 4 years ago and I'm extremely happy that I did. Vegas is somewhat of a toy. perhaps quite capable for a hobbyist, but, if you're seriously in the profession, let Vegas go the way of the hula hoop.

Return to posts index

Mynor de León
on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:55:28 am

Thanks for the answers. I downloaded the trial. I tried to import an avi file and now Im doing the same with a .mov from a Canon 7 D camera. Don´t understand why avid takes so long to put those files in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:54:18 am

Read up on using AMA. You'll need to download an AMA plugin from the AVid site, but, using AMA is very fast.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:45:15 am

[Mynor de León] "Don´t understand why avid takes so long to put those files in the timeline."

Avid was originally developed to be absolutely bullet-proof reliable. They knew they were dealing with a lot of old-school film editors who didn't have a clue about computers, so they designed Media Composer to import every single piece of media and convert it to a reliable and consistent CODEC and put it in a reliable and consistent place on the the harddrive.

That legacy code still exists, and it's still a valid way of working, because you will NEVER lose a piece of media through user error, because it'll be right where Avid put it. But it can feel frustrating to wait for the conversion to happen. If you deal with media in Avid native codecs, it can do a "fast import" which is basically a re-wrap and transfer, which basically happens at the speed of a file copy.

Or, the newer Avids allow you to simply link to files using Avid Media Access, or AMA. It's fast, and it works, but it brings with it all the unpredictability of having files spread all over your hard drives that the other NLEs have. If you're diligent about file management, you won't have any problems.

I'm not sure there are any AMA plugins for AVI though. There might be, but I doubt it.

As has been mentioned, Avid is a horse of a different color, and it'll take a while to get used to it. But if you throw away what you know and adopt the Avid way, you'll learn to love and appreciate it.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mynor de León
on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:08:41 pm

Thanks, I learned about tne AMA. I just like to put the media files from the original folder to the timeline quick but I guess AVID has its own way... I will keep on woriking on it and see what happens. One thing is for sure, the system requirements are too high, the same happends with Adobe Premiere, and no matter how "heavey" your machine is... if Windows is running... mmm good luck!!

Thank you everyone!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]