FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting to quicktime (Yet another former FCP user)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Exporting to quicktime (Yet another former FCP user)
on Feb 13, 2012 at 11:48:05 am

One of many new converts here... trying to export my short video to h264 for uploading to our video server.

The exporting as quicktime looks familiar, similar to the "Export as quicktime conversion" in FCP.

I check all the boxes and made the aspect ratio/size one of the 16/9 selections.
I even checked "preserve aspect ratio."

When I play back the quicktime, it looks right--correct aspect ratio. That is until I make it full screen. Then it squeezes the image into a 4/3 aspect ratio.

Anyone have an idea of what went wrong???

Thanks, very much,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
Re: Exporting to quicktime (Yet another former FCP user)
on Feb 13, 2012 at 2:22:32 pm

There are some wierd funtions in quicktime designed to correct for a different pixel aspect ratios, but they are flaky at best, and this is what Avid is using here. To avoid this, make sure to type a true 16:9 square pixel resolution in the dimensions boxes (1024x576,1280x720,1920x1080 etc) and then just tick the native dimensions button for display aspect ratio rather than choosing 16:9 or 4:3.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:14:19 pm

This is a side question to help my understanding .... if you click "native dimensions" and it is a SD project, will it not always default to the native "4x3" anamorphic? I have always struggled and since SD always appears to be 4x3, either anamorphic or not, I always must use sorenson to "unsqueeze" the 4x3 anamorphic so QT will always display correctly.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:43:10 am

If you tick native dimensions it actually just takes whatever you put in the dimensions box. Rather than the actual native dimensions of source, i think its refering to the native dimensions of the exported file.

SD is natively 720x576 and then it is stretched a little to make it 4:3 @ 768x576 or stretched alot to make it 16:9 @ 1024x576 when you play in on a TV screen. These are PAL values, and I can't remember the NTSC ones off the top of my head and they are different. So to play it back on a computer display its best to just make the file natively the correct value for either 4:3 or 16:9.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:51:55 am

Whenever I'm making a file that is strictly for computer playback, I know it'll be square pixels, so I simply enter a frame size that'll create the aspect ratio I'm looking for in square pixels and check the "native square pixel" box.

For Instance, if it's NTSC footage that's meant to be 16:9 I'll enter 720x405 (ie: 720/1.778), or 854x480 (ie 480 x 1.778). Each will generate a square pixel 16:9 image that'll display properly on a computer. The first one is anchored off the SD image's width, and the second is anchored off the SD image's height. Once you've got these numbers, any similar divisor of the two will work eg: 360x202, etc.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]