FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 6.0.1 - any user reports?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Johnson
MC 6.0.1 - any user reports?
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:34:37 pm

Everybody is probably aware that Avid did a maintenance update for Media Composer. I've been holding off upgrading from 5.5.3 to 6 due to the many bugs. How are people finding 6.0.1?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
Re: MC 6.0.1 - any user reports?
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:39:31 pm

All the problems ive been having are gone, but its been 1 day. Feels solid so fat

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:07:51 pm

I had assertion errors upon boot up, so I rolled back to 6.0

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:43:14 pm

Richard...make sure you remove EVERYTHING when you uninstall the other version. The Avid Uninstaller doesn't get everything. Did Avid post a list of all the other files to remove? I should dig and look those up.

I found that my UI issues went away. Moving windows, resizing the timeline...not all that great in 6.0. 6.0.1 fixed...well, most of those. Still small issue in resizing timeline. But I know what to do to smack it so I can resize again.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:47:14 pm

Hi
Is the annoying message i get about keyboards when i launch mc6 one of the things thats fixed in 6.0.1

What other issues have people been seeing with 6.0
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:01:27 pm

I ran the uninstaller. Didn't delete the remaining files. Are you talking about the files in the applications folder alone, or does that include files in the application support folder in the Library folder?

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:23:57 pm

Here's what I have:

From a terminal window, you’ll need to do a sudo to remove these: (replace "Symphony" for MediaComposer where appropriate)
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.MediaComposerapplications.pkg
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.MediaComposerlibrary.pkg
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.MediaComposersystem.pkg
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.MediaComposeruninstaller.pkg
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.avidcodecspe
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.avidfilmscribe.pkg
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.avidlogexchange.pkg
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.edlmanager.pkg
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.sharedcomponents.pkg
sudo pkgutil --forget com.paceap.pkg.eden.licensed
sudo pkgutil --forget com.paceap.pkg.InterLokExtensions
sudo pkgutil --forget com.avid.licensecontrol.pkg

Folders/Files to Remove
/Applications/Avid Media Composer (or Avid Symphony)
/Applications/Avid_Uninstallers/Avid Media Composer (or Avid Symphony)
/Applications/Utilities/Avid_Utilities (AGAIN - this will remove Avid License Control)
/Library/CFMSupport/DigiCFMShim
/Library/Applications Support/Avid (this will remove Avid Licensing files)
/Library/Applications Support/Digidesign
/Library/StartupItems/Digi*.*
/System/Extensions/Digi*.kext, Avid*.kext
/Library/StartupItems/Digi*.*

Needing to use the Terminal annoys me. This is why I either reinstall the OS fresh, or clone back from a backup of a fresh install.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:31:36 pm

Wow, that is quite a bit. I've always ran the uninstaller, is this something new with MC6, or has Avid always left these files behind?

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:34:12 pm

ALWAYS left files behind.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 10, 2012 at 1:28:40 am

Turns out, it wasn't a result of files being left behind. I was testing it on a separate partition of my laptop, but both partitions are Lion which denies write privileges to the root level of the drive by default. Avid would give me a drive warning me that that are no drives available with write access, but would proceed to list my projects as normal. When I'd select a project, it give me a Segmentation Fault error. When I mounted a disk image, which allowed Avid place to write files, it started up fine. Granted, this is a strange situation because you wouldn't normally start it up without a media drive, and in my case I just wanted to check out the interface a bit. Any way, problem solved.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Feb 10, 2012 at 2:51:24 am

set your OS drive read/write permissions for your user and "everyone" -- this fixes the problem. Known bug on the mac side.

Return to posts index

Bob O'Hearn
on Feb 10, 2012 at 12:11:22 pm

Hi Shane,

Can you give me a little more info on performing a sudo? I have all sorts of junk from years ago and many upgrades hanging around and want to upgrade to 6.0.1. I'm another FCP victim that needs to come to terms with MC.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:25:38 pm

[Bob O'Hearn] "Can you give me a little more info on performing a sudo?"

Sorry, no clue. I don't like opening the terminal, which is why I opt to reformat my drive and reinstall. This is why I typically install the OS fresh, update fully, then CLONE it to another drive before I install anything app wise. This way, the reformat of the system drive only takes about 2 hours.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Russ Johnson
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:08:28 am

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll give it a try.

Shane, what is the resize timeline bug and your work around?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:24:17 pm

[Russ Johnson] "Shane, what is the resize timeline bug and your work around?"

When I dragged the lower right corner to resize, if I stopped, the resize corner tab would vanish, and I couldn't grab to resize again. It was locked down. The solution was to load another sequence, then it appeared again. That bug still seems to have come over to 6.0.1. But the one that was fixed was when I tried to butt my bins up to the top of the screen, they'd bounce down to below where a Menu bar WOULD be...only it wasn't , as this was my second monitor. This was due to me having my menu bar on the right hand monitor, when Avid prefers you have it on the left.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Feb 10, 2012 at 12:25:29 am

6.01 is still not perfect but it's in good shape. In short: yes, I believe it is ready to move on from 5.5.3. I believe the German keyboard layout is still a bit problematic. I tried exporting a 7 hour timeline as a stress-test and it crashed. However, 5.5 was not able to do this either.

Over all I think 6.01 is comparable to 5.5.1 or 5.5.2 in terms of its stability/bugs. There's a few here or there but it's quite usable. In fact, I've already submitted an edit to a network with it, worked just fine.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:47:57 pm

Finally got a chance to try out the patch.. Seems solid so far. Haven't run into the Underrun bug once, my workspaces are being remembered and window layout is staying in tact. Mind you 6.0 was unusable for me cause of the constant under run bug. Im finally getting to see what a 64 bit MC is like, and its fast and snappy, rendering is quick. Even Avid FX is working a lot snappier than I've ever seen it. I dig the subtle differences in the interface, and it seems like Avid is heading in the right direction with this one.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Matt Devino
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:34:54 pm

I'm in the middle of an edit using 5D footage that was converted to ProRes LT files that I brought in through AMA and it's working pretty well. It feels very solid, but every once in a while I get a little bit ahead of the software and the AMA plug-in fails to display my footage and I need to restart the app, but it's still way more usable than v5 was. The crashes probably also have a little bit to do with the fact that I have over 2 hours of AMA clips in my timeline. I feel like this is really a usable workflow for me now instead of having to wait for the Avid to import everything (even if I transcoded the H.264 to DNxHD first and was doing a fast import), I can just transcode through mpeg stream clip then AMA and get to editing much quicker, and not worry about it being sluggish.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]