FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pushing sequence to ITX - Audio issue

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Higginson
Pushing sequence to ITX - Audio issue
on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:07:17 pm

Hey

So I've only really used Avid as an offline editor in the past, and now I'm doing some contract work for a network which requires me to send finished sequences complete with bars and tone to an ITX to print to tape.

This has all been fine, with the exception of one audio issue. Once the edit is done I make an audio mixdown to a stereo track, then split the track for channels 1&2 as requested. This is fine, but they also need a stereo mix on 7&8 as well as 9&10. When I put these in, my audio is now peaking on playback. Is this an issue? is there some specific setting I should be using for this before I send it out?

thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
Re: Pushing sequence to ITX - Audio issue
on Feb 8, 2012 at 4:38:09 pm

I believe there's a simple explanation for your problem. We run into this issue on certain shows where we are required to deliver audio on tracks 9 & 10. Even in Direct output, the defaults on the Avid Output tool mix the second grouping of 8 tracks into the first 8 tracks, i.e. 9 gets mixed out onto Track 1's output, 2 onto 10, 3 onto 11, etc. This is why it appears that Tracks 1 & 2 are double in level.

To fix this, you need to go to the Audio Project Settings, Output Tab. Select "DIRECT OUT" and "ALLOW 16 CHANNEL OUTPUT." Next go to the HD SDI subtab and allow either 12 or 16 channel radio button. The next step is to use the buttons and pulldowns above the subtabs to remap tracks 9 & 10 (and the rest if needed) to outputs 9 & 10, etc. You will have to click TIMELINE to change it to ALL and then the Grp 1 button to get to the 2nd group of 8

The big problem with all of this, is none of these settings seem to be sticky or get saved with the settings, so you'll have to be vigilant about making sure the settings are this way each time you need to do this. I've been bitching about this for years now.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Feb 8, 2012 at 4:43:17 pm

One additional point to my above reply, If you are "Transferring to Playback," there are settings to map output transfers in the TRANSFER SETTINGS. In the OUTPUT AUDIO MIX section, there is the ability to remap channels hidden in the "edit" button.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Luke Higginson
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:26:23 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index