FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie workflow question: multi channel audio driving me nuts

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Gothmann
Newbie workflow question: multi channel audio driving me nuts
on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:51:34 am

I went from FCP to Avid. While I am happy overall there is a specific workflow I have to go through on a very regular basis that is driving me nuts and I haven't figured out a good way to go about this.
Maybe someone here with more experience can help:

I am getting files (feature length, 90 min. plus) either on SR tape or as a Prores file. The all have 12 channels of audio (5.1 english, 5.1 m&e).

Sometimes I have to edit out a few bits here and there (two, three cuts, nothing big) and then I have to:

- Export the 12 audio channels as mono stems
- Also export the modified film with the 12 channels of audio embedded as a QT file.

The only way I found to export the stems was via AAF or going out as a mono file one track at a time. Choosing export - audio will only give me an interleaved .wav or .aiff but the file size goes beyond the file size limit of wavs and aiffs so that won't work (Vegas has interleaved wav64, no such thing in Avid).
Is there no way to tell Avid during the export to create split mono tracks and not an interleaved audio file?

- With the Prores files, I tried to go the AMA route since not a lot of edits are involved so it shouldn't bog down. But with AMA I cannot export a reference QT so I have to do a full export. But I cannot find a way to embed 12 audio channels when doing an export. It seems 8 is the max.
So I have to do a transcode or fast import to end up with what I can do with MXF (see one below) which is such an uneccessary step for a mundane task.

- With the MXF files the same 8-channels only applies to a full export but at least I can send out a reference file with audio set to "direct" and then I end up with a QT reference containing the 12 channels which I then can save as a standalone movie in QT player

It's painful and so much, much easier in FCP classic. I just export the movie and then the audio as channels grouped: done.
Is there no other way of doing this in Avid?

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Newbie workflow question: multi channel audio driving me nuts
on Feb 5, 2012 at 5:19:56 pm

What versions of Avid?

V6 supports multichannel QuickTime files. Earlier versions do not.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: Newbie workflow question: multi channel audio driving me nuts
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:45:38 pm

It's MC6, but the max number of channels I seem to be able to output is eight with a non-referenced file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]