FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D workflow?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Johnson
5D workflow?
on Feb 4, 2012 at 5:57:34 am

I'm running Avid Media Composer 4.0 and having some difficulty with the workflow for bringing in clips shot from a 5D. I need to transcode these to a unity, but when I try to link the .mov files to AMA they come in with audio, but a fuzzy green screen. With that not working, I'm importing them at 1:1 to an external G-RAID drive and then transcoding them at 14:1 to the unity. The problem with that is that they're eating up an extremely large amount of space on the RAID drive (over 1 terabyte so far and I'm only on the second card) and take an extremely long time to import (about an hour per 10 minutes of footage). Is there a better way to do this? Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: 5D workflow?
on Feb 4, 2012 at 7:50:59 pm

1:1 sounds like massive overkill. Your intended workflow is to transcode first at your finishing resolution and then transcode to low res for offline? First off, I'd recommend you look at QTChange. http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange This program will allow you to apply the timecode information from the THM file and embed it into the Quicktime file, so you can retain timecode and reel name when working in Avid. Next, I'd transcode your footage to DNxHD 115 (I'm assuming your footage is 23.976, but if it's 29.97, you can transcode to DNxHD 145). DNxHD is still very high quality and is used for finishing, but the file sizes will be significantly smaller than 1:1.

If you link via AMA and then trancode, it generally transcodes faster than just importing. I thought you could AMA quicktime files in Media Composer 4, but it may not have been added until 5.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:19:00 am

1:1 is indeed overkill. There is a great AMA workflow for tapeless footage that I know. If you'd like I can email it to you. I believe AMA was implemented in 4.0

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:27:33 pm

AMA in MC4 was only for XDCAM and DVCProHD footage. AMA to quicktime was only introduced in V5. So it's import or nothing. Importing at DNxHD (120 for 25p or the equilivant), should give you smaller files than 1:1 but still good quality.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Timothy Miller
on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:48:26 pm

Dear Brendan,
Working at home, I also encounter 5D workflow issues and would be most happy if you would extend your offer of sending your AMA workflow for tapeless footage to me as well !
N.B. I am working with MC 5.0.3 on a 2006 2x dual 3 Ghz Mac Pro 1,1 with a Mojo Dx.
My e-mail is edit.room@free.fr
Many thanks.
Timothy Miller (Paris based)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]