FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour correction consoles: Avid Artist versus Tangent Wave

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kriss Rozins
Colour correction consoles: Avid Artist versus Tangent Wave
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:19:12 pm

Hi there!

We in our small studio are thinking of buying a colour grading console. We usually do grading in Avid MC and Apple Color and we're also planning to start using DaVinci Resolve.

As we've never used grading console of any kind before, it's a bit tricky to find the best for our needs/budget.
So far I've discovered that two consoles would fit in our budget - Avid Artist and Tanget Wave.

Anyone here used both of these? As I understand, Avid Artist can work with Avid MC, Color and DaVinci. Tangent Wave works with Color and DaVinci, but appearently doesn't support Avid.

As Avid MC grading options ar rather limited anyway, it's more important to have compability with Color and DaVinci. But still it would be great to use such console in Avid.

So, if we talk about Color and DaVinci - is there any difference between Avid and Tanget? Do they both can perform the same things?
I mean, if we choose Avid Artist console (which support all our software), will it be as handy/advanced as Wave (if it's handy at all)?

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Colour correction consoles: Avid Artist versus Tangent Wave
on Feb 4, 2012 at 1:16:40 am

I have used both, and both are good, but I settled on the MC Artist panel for two reasons.

1) It works with Avid, Color and Resolve. I mainly use Color and Avid Symphony, so that nails it for me.

2) I like that the adjustment wheels are surrounding the color balls. My hands can adjust the wheels and the balls at the same time without having to reach too far. The Tangent has the wheels above the balls. Not too far, but I found the Artist panel to be more comfortable.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Mendoza
on Feb 4, 2012 at 10:57:02 am

Another advantage with going with Avid Artist COLOR is that you can add on to the suite later. There is Artist Control, Artist Mix, and Artist Transport that complement each other.

You can use Artist Color with Autodesk Smoke (the editor as well as color grading). Add to the list... Assimilate Scratch supports Artist Color also.

Sometimes creativity just means the daily work of helping others to see a problem in a different way.

Return to posts index

Kriss Rozins
on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:02:57 am

Thank you for your attention!

I guess we're going for Avid Artist.

Thank you once more!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]