FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decompose Sequence / Batch Import

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Mills
Decompose Sequence / Batch Import
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:53:07 am

I am looking for a way to Decompose a sequence in one project (all material is DNxHD36, project is 1080p25, initially set up incorrectly) and then open it up in another project (1080i50) and batch import at a higher bit rate (DNxHD175) in order to online.

Is it possible (due to lack of space), when performing a batch import that the new master clips created by the decompose, only import the section of the original clip that is used in the cut as opposed to the whole clip being imported?

I know this works for Batch Capture and am sure there is a way to do this with Batch Import.

I am currently working on a project that has multiple frame rates and the whole thing is to be conformed in 1080i50.

Many Thanks

Ben

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Decompose Sequence / Batch Import
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:44:04 pm

That is essentially the whole idea behind doing a decompose.

When you do your decompose, simply tell it what kind of handles you want on the heads and tails of each clip. It will then create a new set of clips, that are offline (your originals will stay online) but those new clips will be broken up into the individual clips used to make up your sequence...including heads and tails.

If you had 1-30 minute chunk of video in offline, but only used 1 second of it in the edit, it will create a clip that is 1second long + what ever amount of handle you specified, and will ignore the other 29 mins and 59 seconds from the clip. Batch import or batch capture if coming off tape, and you can tell it what resolution to create the clips into this time.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ben Mills
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:46:37 pm

But on doing this with a Batch Import, each new offline clip relinks from frame 1 of my original material and not at (for example) frame 201 where the clip in the cut starts.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 3, 2012 at 4:26:54 pm

Batch Import always imports the entire file again. Avid can't import just the middle section. It only does that through tape capture.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Peter Galassi
on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:03:32 am

So, purely hypothetically, if you were working with a very large project (like a feature) that had hundreds of clips in offline resolution, you would have to re-import the entirety of all of those clips to online the parts you used in your edit? Is it possible to use subclips or something to get around the "import the whole clip" thing? Seems like this would be more of a problem as people go forward with shooting long form projects on P2 and 5D and the like. Thinking about it, obviously RED must use an AMA-transcode-online workflow as well.

I'm not challenging your answer, just wondering if there's any workarounds that folks use or is it just have a ton of space and time for the online transcode?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]