FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer/Symphony question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Holloway
Media Composer/Symphony question
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:23:54 pm

Sorry for the "newbie" post. Is it correct to say that Symphony 6 is essentially Media Composer 6 with color correction? If you need to do both editing and CC, you would only buy Symphony, not both.

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
Re: Media Composer/Symphony question
on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:31:28 pm

Yep!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:47:51 pm

Well, with BETTER color correction tools, as MC also has color correction tools. And Symphony has UNIVERSAL MASTERING, meaning it can convert 29.97 to 23.98 on output, or 29.97 to 25fps, HD to SD...all that. MC cannot.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Holloway
on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:44:35 am

Thanks for that info. I'm just trying to get my head around the difference between Smoke for Mac and Symphony. Most folks I know don't think of Smoke as the best editor, although you can edit, but it's excellent for finishing. If Symphony takes the best of of editing from Media Composer and adds top of the line color correction and finishing, then is the "better" platform just a matter of opinion? Or is there still a compelling reason to select one over the other. Either way, they both support the Kona 3G, so from an I/O perspective I assume all things are equal. I would imagine having the Avid solution and potentially Pro Tools if needed would also add serious value, still for a much lower price than Smoke.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:34:19 am

The Smoke should in no way be considered an editing application. Yes, you can edit, but it is mainly a color correction tool and compositor. And Avid is mainly an editing app and online machine with color capabilities. The Symphony is very capable as a color tool, but the Smoke is better. And the Avid is a MUCH better editor.

Two different beasts.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:24:51 am

[Mark Holloway] "If Symphony takes the best of of editing from Media Composer and adds top of the line color correction and finishing, then is the "better" platform just a matter of opinion? Or is there still a compelling reason to select one over the other"

MC grading tools are stable, decent+, primary correction tools,
Symphony will add you several better primary tools and basic secondary tools. I'd say secondary for broadcast and non narrative use.
it was "top of the line" many years ago,
honestly, even Da-Vinci lite kicks its ass in matters of secondary tools and workflows.

universal mastering is great, but only if you need it.

maybe DS is a better comparison to SMOKE, though not for MACs.

i think that in times where Adobe Premiere is considered a decent editor, SMOKE could be counted as one too. its definitely not Avid, but its really not that bad. in so many other aspects SMOKE is light years ahead of symphony.

don't look for an all in one.

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Mark Holloway
on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:38:12 pm

So much great feedback. Thanks everyone for your time and patience in answering questions and putting "real world" perspective around things.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:35:22 pm

If most of the projects you work on are cut on Media Composer, and provided you're not dealing with image sequences, Symphony is a much better conforming tool than Smoke simply because it's an Avid - which means you don't have to try and recreate keyframes or any effects that were created in the offline. They simply appear once your media is relinked. Using any other conforming tool means a less than 100% conform by definition. That said, Smoke has a far, far deeper toolset, and great compositing tools. But if your stock in trade is recreating Media Composer projects exactly, you'll get it done quicker, easier, and more accurately using Symphony or DS. Not necessarily better, though.

Return to posts index

Mark Holloway
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:37:41 pm

This has been really helpful. It's been a while since I've done anything commercially and the industry has changed so much since the last time I was involved. At the same time, companies like Autodesk and Avid have changed significantly over the years and the tools are within reach for someone like myself. I'm still learning and being educated (which helps being able to obtain these tools without breaking the bank), but now I truly have the opportunity to arm myself with knowledge, talent, and skills where as 10 years ago it was very hard to do on any of these platforms. I see it as a great opportunity that wasn't feasible before.

Thanks again for everyones contribution.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:29:57 pm

Just wanted to point out that the Universal Mastering is only available if you use Avid's hardware. No dice with AJA.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:32:56 pm

True. But AJA's hardware has pretty good options on it's own. It can downconvert, cross convert and upconvert very well. Output 23.98 as 29.97 too.

Just not ALL the options you get with the Symphony hardware...true.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]