FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid computer

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filipe nunes de barros
Avid computer
on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:50:49 pm

Hi,

i'm moving to avid in a near future. I wanna know a good PC to start editing basic movies at then do the final touchs in my macpro with matrox and a flanders monitor in my workplace.

Should I buy a server or a normal desktop? Does anyone work with the blackmagic intensity?

Sorry for my bad english.

Filipe Barros
baxadanacioal.com.br

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
Re: Avid computer
on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:56:45 pm

if in PC you mean personal computer, and you already have a mac workstation, then you'd be better off getting a strong iMac than any windows system in that price range.

the Macbook pro 15/17 is a good option too

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

filipe nunes de barros
on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:02:05 pm

Yeah, but i live in Brazil and a Imac doubles the price and if include a thunderbolt blackmagic the price goes to the sky.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:18:09 pm

i see

however, if you buy an under-spec windows system, you might run into constant bugs, a shorter life comp, and your 2 systems won't perfectly talk to each other, eventually you might end up spending more in the long run...

(and why do you need a TB black magic card for your b system?)

however.

if you do want to go that way, i would strongly recommend an Avid supported graphic card (ie quadro) don't save there.

see recommended specs here:
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Media-Composer/system-requirements

also, read this:
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/94381.aspx

* and say hi to Brazil :)

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

filipe nunes de barros
on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:27:24 pm

Maybe its a good thing buy a imac, but i'm really afraid what may happen with apple in the future.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:12:27 pm

Don't fear the future... embrace it :)

and think of it this way. as long as its a good solution for the next 2 or 3 years, it's an OK spending.
I will pay for itself long before that.

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:11:54 am

I also made the move from FCP to MC6, using the same 5 year old PC hardware (the system is also a Hackintosh, that's how I run FCP).

Spec-wise it's a Q6600 CPU on a fairly low end Asus board. 8GB of DDR2 RAM. Windows 7 SP1. Nvidia GTX285. I also have Intensity and Decklink Extreme 3D+. Both work fine, save for a (possibly driver) issue where it freezes on Play when switching in/from Source/Record to Color Correction mode. The workaround is to initiate capture out of the Blackmagic card everytime you switch. Keep the capture tool at the ready.

I just cut a multicam clip (4 angles) at 720p/DNxHD90X out of a single (very fast) WD drive. It worked a treat. 1080p struggles a bit but it's workable. Not bad for a 5 year old system.

Don't let the apple fanbois brainwash you, they will go "lalala can't hear you" in the face of all reason and evidence. You can exchange files with the Mac in any number of ways (Paragon NTFS drivers in OS X or HPFS Macdrive in Windows).

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:37:59 pm

I was having some issues with the Paragon software writing to HFS+ drives. Went to the latest MacDrive and have had no issues. Everytime I wrote to a MAC disk using the Paragon, Disk Utility needed to repair the filesytem.

Just something to think about.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:48:25 pm

[Alex Maranda] "Spec-wise it's a Q6600 CPU on a fairly low end Asus board. 8GB of DDR2 RAM. Windows 7 SP1. Nvidia GTX285. I also have Intensity and Decklink Extreme 3D+. Both work fine, save for a (possibly driver) issue where it freezes on Play when switching in/from Source/Record to Color Correction mode. The workaround is to initiate capture out of the Blackmagic card everytime you switch. Keep the capture tool at the ready.
"

this doesn't really prove anything. unless you are recommending him to purchase an old, under-spec system, based on a one case, undocumented experience.

from my (quite extensive) experience, though in some cases they do work surprisingly well, under-spec systems are generally unstable, and often fail, forcing constant maintenance and workarounds. unless you work very little.

[Alex Maranda] "Don't let the apple fanbois brainwash you, they will go "lalala can't hear you" in the face of all reason and evidence."

in what context are you saying this?

i recommended him an iMac because he already owns a MacPro.
its an Avid qualified system for MC6,
http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/supportfiles/attach/422411/MacQual_MC_SY_v6_10_1...
while price wise, its a good bargain (you can always look for 2nd hand iMacs)
and with TB, quite upgradable.

look here if you find a better deal
http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/supportfiles/attach/422411/PCQual_MC_SY_NC_AS_IN...

btw... i even added a link from the Avid forum of unsupported but working graphic cards for MC

your comment felt somewhat offensive.

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:19:47 pm

He can't afford an iMac plus a TB enclosure to attach a Blackmagic card, he already mentioned that; he, as myself, lives in a developing country where products "Designed in California Manufactured in China" are priced as luxury goods, which they are, based on local sales volume.

Based on just basic affordability, I ran FCP for the last four years on the "under-spec, old system" (Hackintoshed). Any stability issues I ran into were solely due to the decrepit FCP codebase.

In the end he'll buy the system he can afford. No need to get excited if you're not a fanboi. I provided him with a datapoint, that even old and relatively generic PC hardware is adequate for Avid.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:53:28 am

i didn't get excited.
maybe in developing countries the term "fanboi" is considered less offensive.

however, since you do not know me, and obviously didn't even fully read my answer,
i think its much more respectable not to use terms like these.

you could have written the same answer without that line, you chose to put it there. i chose to comment.

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

filipe nunes de barros
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:07:45 pm

I'm have an Imac used as a B computer in my company, I'm not a big fan of the Imac they got VERY hot really fast, so the ac must be always turned on. But i will probably will get a pc, mostly because it's gonna stay in my home and will be used as a game pc too.

Thanks for the help.
Filipe Barros

Return to posts index

Renato Sanjuán
on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:38:29 pm

If you plan on going with a pc you might want to check out the suggested builds on this page. I built version 7 myself and I'm pretty happy with the results. They don't sell the stuff, they just test the build and put out the specs.

I'd second the advice of not going cheap with the video card. It pays to at least get a quadro fx 560 or 580. If you're planning on using other software (like Resolve, sapphire plugins and others) you might want to see if it benefits from a quadro, CUDA performance, etc...

http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/C/DIY+Systems/Videoguys+DIY+Video+Editing+Wo...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]