FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch Import / attaching to media changes speed

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raj Kumar
Batch Import / attaching to media changes speed
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:40:53 pm

Hi,
I am working with a FCP based project. All I have from it are the XML, and a quicktime of the edited short film, and the original H.264 clips from a Canon 5D. All the original H264 clips were first converted to uncompressed before the edit was performed in FCP. So I have no FCP sequence that linked directly to the H.264 media.

I now need to recreate the edit in AVID linking directly to the H.264 media.

I used the mme app to convert the XML into an AVID sequence, imported that and the quicktime of the edited short film.

I batch imported the original clips by attaching them to the clips in the bin that form the sequence. But I find that the clips are sped up to accomodate the ENTIRE original clip which is generally longer than each of the clips.

I see this is a known problem per this link.
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/69089.aspx
"If I Batch Import the new 30 sec .mov into the 20 sec clip it will actually playback faster in those 20 secs."

Should I be doing this a different way? I'm ok with doing this manually, just wanted to figure out the smartest way to do it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Batch Import / attaching to media changes speed
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:38:26 pm

Look at Automatic Duck. Used to cost $500...now free. And it is damn near spot on.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Raj Kumar
on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:26:09 am

Thanks Shane. That was the first thing I looked at.

But the issue is - the original media is H.264. It was transcoded in Compressor to Uncompressed. Then, it was synced to audio, edited in FCP, and the project consolidated, so the resulting media clips have no relation to the original media.

What I was hoping to do was to link the original media to the clips in AVID, and then slip the media to match the start/end of the edited video track I have as a reference. But this strange thing AVID seems to do where it makes the entire associated media play in the clip by speeding or slowing it down as much as it needs to do so it fits the clip length, has thrown a wrench in my approach.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:53:55 am

[Raj Kumar] "so the resulting media clips have no relation to the original media."

If the new media was used in FCP...synced to audio and a lot of work done with it...and it doesn't relate to the original media in any way, like with timecode and reel number, then how can you expect any NLE to link to the originals in any meaningful way? If they don't relate at all, how can you get them to relate?

[Raj Kumar] "But this strange thing AVID seems to do where it makes the entire associated media play in the clip by speeding or slowing it down as much as it needs to do so it fits the clip length"

Why do the clip lengths differ? Did you convert only sections of the originals?

I think you need to forget trying to link to the originals and deal with the uncompressed converts. They should be perfectly adequate anyway.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]