FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNxHD Issues in AE 16/32 bit (black lines in highlights)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Radovanovic
DNxHD Issues in AE 16/32 bit (black lines in highlights)
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:33:41 pm

Something is definitely wrong with DNxHD QT 2.3.2 and 2.3.4 codecs.

- When importing 709 encoded DNxHD QT file into After Effects 16 or 32 bit projects, I get black lines in highlights (superwhite) - see attached. Switching project back to 8 bit solves the issue, but that's not really solution for more demanding projects.
- Importing RGB encoded DNxHD does not introduce black lines but there is noticeable banding that can clearly be seen in Levels Histogram, especially in 8 bit project.

This is definitely not an AE issue because DNxHD 2.2.1 was working fine, except well known and annoying settings dialogue problem that was fixed in 2.3

Does anyone know the solution?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: DNxHD Issues in AE 16/32 bit (black lines in highlights)
on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:51:48 pm

I reported this issue on the After Effects forum about a year ago. I either got ignored, or was given the runaround on the answer to this problem.

Return to posts index

Ivan Radovanovic
on Jan 21, 2012 at 12:36:25 am

Yes, I just saw your post there.
Just got confirmation from a friend that the same issue is visible on Assimilate Scratch too.
I'm back to 2.2.1 for now but this is HUGE issue, especially with so many workflows / devices moving to DNxHD.
How it is possible that there are no more topics about this problem?
Does Anyone Else Have The Same Issue?

Return to posts index

Allen Tracy
on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:20:22 am

I was getting that whenever I had illegal white values on the clip in Avid. It went away whenever I dropped the Gain so that the whites were legal value.

Not sure if that's what you're running into or not.

Return to posts index

Mike Ritchie
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:52:17 pm

I also can not believe nobody has a solution to this issue. We are having a hell of a time working around this because every extra conversion we have to do gives us another generation loss. We're working on mac, and so far the workaround has been to convert to and work in PRORES 4444 and then export out of AE at DNxHD. So basically introducing 2 generations of loss into our footage.

What is absolutely baffling to us though is that on a couple of our machines with Lion, the DNxHD codec does not work at all in QT 7. But, it works just fine in QT X and AE. In fact, the black artifacting is gone in AE. The problem comes when we try to export DNxHD. All we get is pink and green noise.

I've been searching everywhere for a solution to this. There doesn't seem to be one at this point. If we solve it, I will definitely post here again.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Joe Pitts
on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:09:01 pm

this is still an issue with us...i have to have the online editors export Animation codec...no ProRes here!!! anything??

Return to posts index

Jon Merrifield
on Nov 14, 2013 at 1:51:03 am

Problem still exists. Just saying....

Jon Merrifield
PELi VFX

Return to posts index

Joe Pitts
on Feb 10, 2014 at 7:34:26 pm

Here we are....one year later anything happening or is it just a few of us so its ok?

Return to posts index

jay ingles
on Aug 21, 2014 at 7:30:01 pm

I had luck switching export settings from Prmeiere to DNxHD "RGB" color vs rec709. This may not be ideal for everyone but it fixed the pink superwhite highlights.

Return to posts index

Joe Pitts
on Aug 21, 2014 at 8:14:34 pm

The thing that fixed it for me was updating my OSX to 10.9 i thought it to be a Mac/Quicktime problem cause the older stations didnt have the issue at all!

Return to posts index

jay ingles
on Aug 21, 2014 at 8:17:34 pm

Hmm. I'm mostly on PC and was running into pink highlights.

I thought adding broadcast safe to the premiere timeline would solve it but it didn't.

glad its kind of resolved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]