FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 & CS5.5 monitoring and IO solution - advice please

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Roberts
MC6 & CS5.5 monitoring and IO solution - advice please
on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:53:41 pm

Hi - This is my post on this forum, as I'm in the process of moving from FCP7 to Media Composer 6 and Premiere Pro CS5.5

I've been using a Matrox MX02 Mini for some time now, but have got increasingly frustrated with the quality of the drivers and customer support. Now they provided separate drivers for MC and PPro - which isn't helpful.

I'm looking at replacing the Mini with an alternative solution from AJA or BM.

I don't need SDI IO, but am looking for

- a one driver fits all approach;
- HDMI out, and in/out for component and composite; and
- Something which doesn't cost a fortune...

I would really appreciate the advice of other editors with experience of the various solutions.

Thanks very much

Julian

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: MC6 & CS5.5 monitoring and IO solution - advice please
on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:11:21 pm

Given your IO requirements, your choices are the Kona LHi and the BMD DeckLink Studio.
Both have SDI IO, too, but those two are the only cards that offer also HDMI and component.
The Kona costs a bit more but has more features and is my card of choice. However, I have nothing bad to say about BMD cards so the Studio will do you just fine if you don't need those features (TC Overlay, etc.)

Both work fine with MC6 and CS5.5 (with the known current issues with Premiere. CS6 will hopefully fix that).

Return to posts index

Julian Roberts
on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:43:02 pm

Thanks Frank. I also looked at the BMD Intensity Pro. I thought it looked too cheap, but I've spoken to 3 UK dealers today and they all suggested it. Any views (good or bad) on this please?

Also - what specific issues are you refering to re PPro with BMD/AJA cards pls? I've only used PPro with the Matrox Mini.

Thanks very much

Julian

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:24:35 pm

Again, depends on what you need it for. That's the cheapest card on the market. It doesn't have balanced audio, no synch and no device control.
It also has only two channels of HDMI audio, doesn't do any up-/downconversion as far as I can see (never owned this card so I can only really comment on it based on the specs). It's an entry level card that probably does what it does ok but I'd go for something different, also to be a bit more future proof.

Regarding PP; that's not specific to BMD/Aja cards, it applies to all cards. It's doable, just "hicksups" sometimes and not as solid as Avid's IO. Again, it's doable and it may be resolved altogether with CS6.

Return to posts index

Julian Roberts
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:39:48 pm

Thanks Frank - good advice. Think I'll go for the BMD Declink Studio.

Best wishes

Julian

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:11:43 pm

Again, depends on what you need it for. That's the cheapest card on the market. It doesn't have balanced audio, no synch and no device control.

I am also looking for an interface ( for a mbp) for a move from FCP7 to MC6

Are there any that device control (sony decks) works with avid, despite them offering the RS422 interface.

Do I still need to use a usb-serial converter? What is suggested, and do I still require a rosetta converter?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]