FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Canon 7D workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Broughton
Avid Canon 7D workflow
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:16:22 am

New to film, Avid, DSLR's and I need some help. I'm doing project soon using 7d footage on Avid, although I'm not usually an editor I know the basics. No clue what I'm doing when It comes to Importing, exporting, plugins, codecs, and the million different file extensions like what is h.264? I dont understand!.

Can someone explain the best work flow for 7D footage on Avid from importing the footage to exporting the final product for me like I'm five? or link me to another post or somewhere that could?

It's a fast turn around project (so shorter importing times are important) for a simple 5-8 minute piece, just basic cuts, titles, and maybe some color correction.

Unfortunately from what I know we have a fairly limited computer for editing. I think its a Core i3 3ghz with 6g of ram. Can't be certain, I will update when I have more details and do my best to answer any questions. :D

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Avid Canon 7D workflow
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:51:27 pm

First off, I don't believe Avid is qualified on any system that uses an i3 processor. Not that Avid doesn't run on unqualified systems, but little problems tend to arise when you don't work on a qualified system.

There's quite a bit to know about 7D with Avid, largely the color space issues that tend to arise. AMA has a tendency to crush blacks when you link to 7D footage. You can right click the AMA clip and select "Set Source" to adjust it, but there tends to be slight variances. It's generally not the end of the world, but you should be prepared for it.

Don't try to edit it as AMA clips. It will be clunky and slow (especially on a i3). Transcode. If you want to do an offline, you could go DNxHD 36 (or even go standard def into the 15:1s range). If you want to avoid a conform, then you can transcode to DNxHD 115 or 175, but that will require a lot of hard drive.

You mentioned you're new to Avid, correct? In by new, have you ever edited on Avid? I'm not trying to be condescending, just trying to get an idea. There can be a bit of a learning curve. I'd recommend you pick up an Avid book, or buy an Avid Tutorial DVD ASAP. If you've worked on Final Cut, there's a good tutorial DVD called "Media Composer for FCP Users"

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Jane wagner
Re: Avid Canon 7D workflow
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:00:05 pm

Hi Richard,

I am at the trying to work out the best flow for our new long form doc project. We are shooting mostly 7d. For offline if we do the AMA link and transcode at a lower resolution DNxHD36, what would be the process for prepping for the online? How do we do the conform? Can we do a conform of the consolidated sequence, and then just import the consolidated clips at high res? Will the consolidated clips link back to the original card files?

Best,
Jane

[Richard Sanchez] " If you want to do an offline, you could go DNxHD 36 (or even go standard def into the 15:1s range). If you want to avoid a conform, then you can transcode to DNxHD 115 or 175, but that will require a lot of hard drive."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]