FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED to AVID workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Hankewycz
RED to AVID workflow
on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:29:34 pm

It seems that all the info on RED to AVID workflow is a bit outdated so I'd like some help ironing out my process.

I used RedCineX (build 506) to make offline media for AVID. In RedCineX's export settings there's an option for "Avid AAF & MXF," which I used to create DNxHD36 media files along with an AAF for each clip and an ALE for the whole batch. I copied the resulting MXF files into the Avid MediaFiles folder.

In AVID, I created a new project and imported the ALE into a new bin. The ALE brought in all the clips with tons of metadata however they all came up offline. Highlighting all of the clips I used "relink" but only the video tracks relinked, have no idea why.

On the other hand when I imported the AAFs for each clip they came in perfectly but didn't have as much metadata as the ALE import. So I'm not sure which import method is better.

Now that the media is in AVID, I'm wondering what the process is for finishing. Let's say I get a locked sequence, how do I go about upresing the media and the project? RedCineX has an option to import an Avid ALE but I haven't had success creating one. I also tried creating an XML of my timeline with FilmScibe but it doesn't work with RedCineX.
Thank you for your help.

roman hankewycz
harbor film company // colorist

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: RED to AVID workflow
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:05:31 am

ALE does not relink Audio. You discovered the first half by importing the AAF files where picture and sound automatically relink upon import. Once those AAFs are imported, select all, then do an import. In ShotLog (ALE) settings of import, select the last radio button "merge based on..." then select the ALE. All ALE metadata will now be in the files.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:54:11 am

Keep in mind this works best with double system workflows when syncing happens in Media Composer since Resolve strips audio during the process at this time.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:32:42 pm

Michael,
Thanks for your input on that, your method works perfectly.

roman hankewycz
harbor film company // colorist

Return to posts index

Chris Arnold
on May 18, 2012 at 3:19:05 pm

We also had to bring in MXF and AAF files from RED. However our AAFs stayed offline and would not relink. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]