FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Array

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elaine Trotter
External Array
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:59:08 pm

Hi, I'm planning on switching from FCP to Avid. Also from Mac to PC since it looks like Apple is going to drop the desktop towers. Plus I think Apple is running fast from the Pro market and not reliable for future investments - could be dropped by them at any time. PC world seems much more stable. Right now just want to set up an external array for my current setup that can be migrated from Mac to PC. and here's the question. Can I just get a box for my 7200 RPM drives (6 tb) that is ESATA to work with a PCIe bus? Are there special drive requirements for Avid? I'm thinking about the Nitris system. Would really appreciate some pointers, directions - its a Brave New World being a FCP refugee.

Elaine

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: External Array
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:39:54 pm

There is no special requirement for direct attached storage. As far as finding the right box, it depends on your needs. Esata can do but ultimately might be too slow if you have lots of HD streams (which has nothing to do with Avid, same rule would apply with any other NLE).
I'd recommend an external raid enclosure for your drives, connected via a PCIe SAS adapter (eg. the Areca 8040 plus an Areca SAS adapter).
It is expendable should your space requirements grow and not too loud for a desktop environment, the adapter is cross platform and works with pc, mac and linux, it's freakin' fast and it's very reliable. That'll give you a future proof solution, also for high bandwith requirements.

Return to posts index

Elaine Trotter
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:48:09 pm

Frank,
Thanks for the great info.... didn't realize that ESata will slow down with a lot of HD streams.
Elaine

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:19:54 am

It won't slow down, eSata just isn't really fast to begin with.
A serious Raid box as described above can give you 700 MBs and more; way beyond what eSata can deliver.
Again, it depends on what your requirements are.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]