FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch relink Ama Footage (just like in FCP ?)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Haavie
Batch relink Ama Footage (just like in FCP ?)
on Jan 15, 2012 at 12:06:21 pm

I am an experienced FCP editor making the move to Avid. One easy question.

We have an Avid project that links to a lot of AMA footage. We will do some logging on mac, and editing on another. Is there any way we can batch relink footage like you do in FCP ? (just choose a folder, and the rest of the footage automatically reconnects). I know I can reconnect one file at a time, but that will take forever.

If this for some reason doesn't work (been googling, and it looks like a problem). Should it be easier to reconnect not using the AMA footage ? (I am a bit confused about Avid terminology.. why have a special "AMA" functionality, when it's just linking to footage you don't have to convert. Is this an Avid legacy thing ?)

Anders

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
Re: Batch relink Ama Footage (just like in FCP ?)
on Jan 15, 2012 at 4:16:36 pm

what you wrote makes perfect sense... in theory, it should reconnect just like in FCP.... however, this is unfortunately not the case yet with AMA.

in order to relink AMA files while moving between systems you might need to go through a bit of Avid voodoo

here is a step by step.
hope this helps

1. hopefully you have a bin with all linked material. i usually keep one before i make copies of my clips and divide them into bins, helps to have one spot i know contains everything (and helps in relinking too)

2. open that bin

3. open a new bin and link to AMA all your files (again) they will have original names and your sequences and logging clips will still show as offline (its OK, just a step)

4. go back to your main media bin and select all clips, right click and choose "relink"

5. the relink window shows up, fill it up like this picture

make sure you didn't check "relink only to media from..."
and "match case when..."

6. once you click OK, avid will relink your old bins and sequences.

7. you can now trash the new AMA bin you created.

sucks it still has to be this way.

AMA is still a work in progress. we should give it some time to stabilize.

hector.

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on Jan 15, 2012 at 4:21:00 pm

Thanks for a very detailed description. I will give it a try. Really strange that this process is not more smooth. As long as it works I am fine (almost)

Anders

Xraid-Xserve-Xsan-Xeverything

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
Re: Batch relink Ama Footage (just like in FCP ?) (New info)
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:59:48 am

Ok. So my friend was wrong about a lot of details concerning the project. There is no AMA material (they were told that was a bad solution).. This is what he wants to do.

He has an Avid project on one imac, and the footage on an external firewire drive. He wants to use a laptop, connected to the iMac with an ethernet cable, using the same disk (shared disk), and do logging on the powerbook at the same time as he is doing dubbing on the other mac. (this is an arabian documentary). They will use a copy of the same project on each mac, which uses the same footage on the shared external drive. Is this possible, recommended ?

Will it be possible to merge these projects together later, so that the logged info will be available in the same project as the dubbed (the dubbing will be an extra audio track in a multiple timelines)

Another thing that confuses me a bit is how you work with projects in Avid. You only work with one project at a time, and what I want is to open the one project on the iMac, and save it to my powerbook so we both work on identical projects. What is the procedure for doing this ?

Avid is great for sharing projects, multiple people working at the same project at the same time, but I guess that you need expensive setup to make this happen ?

Sorry for stupid questions. Coming from the FCP side.

Anders

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:15:23 pm

Yes, only one project is open at a time. But you can open bins from other projects. CMD+O or Open Bin, browse to the other project, select the bin you are looking for and Open. If that bin is open by another user, you will not be able to save changes, but you can duplicate sequences and place in your own bin. Management of files is critical at this point, since you can real easily end up with different versions if you are not careful.

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:23:37 am

Can you export an entire project with lots of bins, or do you have to export one at a time ?

Anders

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:45:07 am

[Anders Haavie] "Can you export an entire project with lots of bins, or do you have to export one at a time"

ןts import, and its only one bin at a time
function is called "Open Bin"

in general, i would strongly advice you against working in the way you suggested earlier, sharing media this way will cause many headaches, if not worst. to my best knowladge it would simply not work.

you mentioned coming from FCP world, even there you wouldn't be able to pull this off properly without a server ans some SAN solution.

if you don't have the budget for a proper solution, duplicate your media and work with a duplicated project, or even just by sharing your sequence bins. this is done frequently and works fine,
several directors i know like to fiddle with timelines at home on duplicated media, and just email the updated project or bin when they finish.

if you are organized, and give proper names to sequences, this is an easy workflow to follow.

if storage is an issue, then work offline. DNXHD36 or even DV. Avid's media management is very good and going back online once you're done is relatively simple.

if storage is still an issue... get the message :) work on one system.

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Lamont Liquid Burrell
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:59:33 pm

So what was the end result when you had to BATCH relink. All I wanted to do is BATCH relink AMA files not sit there and do all 300 of them one at a time. How did you solve this.

Return to posts index

Dusti Blues
on Sep 20, 2012 at 9:28:11 pm

Dude! Awesome work around on AMA relinking! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matteo Trevisan
on Jan 31, 2014 at 2:33:15 pm

Awesome workaround.

I've tried many times to use the relink function with no success. I've read hundreds of page of manuals without figuring out how to make it work.

So... I followed your procedure and everything became SIMPLE!

You make a bin called for example "relink" and you load there the clips from their new locations. THEN you apply the relink function on the offline clips and it works. At that point you can delete the bin created for relinking.

Nice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]