FORUMS: list search recent posts

bringing still photos into Composer 6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Cervarich
bringing still photos into Composer 6
on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:23:31 pm

I have just made the move from FCP7 to MC6 and am enjoying getting reacquainted with Avid. However, I have been having problems with still photos, something I never had to deal with when I once was using Avid long ago. Two things -

1.) When I import still photos into a project that is setup as 1080 30p, many to most of the photos are stretched. I assumed this was the 1080 setting but, after changing that setting and importing a photo, I still got the same result. I hope I have given you enough information to solve this riddle.

2.) Photos that I have rotated in Adobe Bridge when taken in via AMA into MC6 are back to their original position. I am unable to find a way to rotate them inside of MC6. Is there a way to do this inside MC6 or will I need to rotate each one in something like Photoshop?

Also appreciate any other words of wisdom about working with stills in MC6 or any basic tips you think a novice should hear.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: bringing still photos into Composer 6
on Jan 13, 2012 at 11:27:48 pm

When you import photos directly in Avid, they are coverted to a video clip the size of your project dimensions. In the import settings dialog you can choose how to deal with photos that are not the same size or aspect ratio of your project. This almost always reduces the resolution of your photo considerably.

Here's a good explanation of the settings dialog...

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/demystifying-the-avid-import-settings-dialo...

If you want the photos to retain their original resolution, so you can do moves on them (aka "Ken Burns" style), you want to be using Avid Pan and Zoom, or Avid FX. Avid Pan and Zoom does not do rotation, however Avid FX (aka Boris Red) does. Stagetools also makes a plugin for this called Moving Picture, however I don't think it's updated for MC 6 yet.

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
Re: bringing still photos into Composer 6
on Jan 14, 2012 at 6:07:45 pm

Thanks John. I really appreciate this email.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]