FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grouping DSLR footage with external sound

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Ridley
Grouping DSLR footage with external sound
on Jan 13, 2012 at 6:53:11 pm

Hello! This is is my first post in this wonderful community as I usually find answers to my questions by searching. But this time I'm stumped.

I'm starting a documentary project in MC5 shot with two cameras (5D and 60D) and utilizing external sound. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good tutorial to group the footage together. Both cameras have multiple clips (being DSLR) and don't have have their timecode sunk together (again, being DSRL). Right now I've laid all the footage in a sequence and used PluralEyes to synch them together.

What I'm looking for is to group the entire sequence into one clip and not multiple clips. Is that possible? How? I'm hoping someone can point me to a tutorial as I'm sure there are many steps (grouping with timecode is hard enough). Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Grouping DSLR footage with external sound
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:19:43 pm

[Adam Ridley] "What I'm looking for is to group the entire sequence into one clip and not multiple clips. Is that possible?"

Nope. You cannot make a multiclip, or group clip, with multiple clips like that. The way Plural Eyes did it is your best solution. Just use that grouped sequence as a source clip.

If you record with second system sound, SLATING is something you need to do, every time a camera starts. And if you do second system audio, constant starting and stopping of the camera is something that needs to be discouraged...HIGHLY discouraged. But I know that DLSRs have that 12-min max record time issue, which makes things harder. Unless you use Plural Eyes, that makes it easier.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kyra Coffie
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:38:11 pm

Adam,

If I understand you correctly, you can group all of the clips together using Multigroup but it can be very time consuming. A multigroup would take all of your clips from your sequence and put them into one long clip that would have the separate cameras and the external audio all synced together. I've done it before but as I said earlier, it is time consuming.

If you want, I can send you an offline email about the process. Email me at Kyra@AvidAsstEditor.com if your are interested cause it could be a long email! Either way, good luck!

Kyra

Return to posts index

Nathan Grout
on Jan 14, 2012 at 6:41:16 am

No one has mentioned AutoSync, so I suppose I will. While this won't go the whole way to doing what you want to do, it will let you combine a video clip and an audio clip from another source into a new subclip. This can be very helpful when working with sync audio and video from different sources. Since you can't AutoSync based on timecode, you'll have to manually set matching in-points based on your slate and use these in the AutoSync.

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Jan 16, 2012 at 12:08:34 am

And if you already have a sequence in which the audio has been synced using pluralise I think AutoSyncing the sequence will create a subclip which is then a little easier to work with. Not done this myself as I've always used either timecode or slate.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]