FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating subclips from sequence with external audio

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Pugh
Creating subclips from sequence with external audio
on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:23:51 pm

I bet this is Avid 101, but here goes!

I am attempting to create a series of subclips with external audio from a sequence (which has been generated using PluralEyes). These subclips do not need A1 or A2, as those are camera audio.

I've supplied a picture below to help illustrate what I need:

So basically, I will want the subclip to include the entire original video clip, and to have what is currently on a3 and a4 be on a1 and a2, and what is currently on a5 and a6 be on a3 and a4. The audio is already in sync, so nothing needs to move.

To be honest, I am fairly new to Avid and editing in general, so if you could please be as specific as possible when helping me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

I will also happily provide more details as needed. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Creating subclips from sequence with external audio
on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:25:58 am

Red-segment-select everything on A3/4/5/6 and move everything two tracks up. Select the synced segment, but make sure you don't have any filler or edits in there (in other words: lose the first part of the video in your example). Subsequence to a bin. Select the subsequence and click Bin->AutoSync.

Return to posts index

Derek Pugh
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:38:15 pm

That sounds like a good plan. The only problem is, that sequence I pictured above consists of roughly 20 separate shots. Could I maybe copy/paste each shot into a "work sequence" and then do as you said from there? Or is there a better way to approach this?

Return to posts index

Derek Pugh
on Jan 12, 2012 at 5:21:50 pm

Here's what we were trying out yesterday, which almost worked:

Dragged the sequence into the source viewer. Opened the sequence on the timeline. Set and in and out for shot. Drag from source clip to bin, which I believe created a subsequence. Autosynced which created a subclip.

The problem was (and I'm using the pic as an example), the clip would start where a3 and a4 start, so we would lose the head of the shot. Is there any way around that?

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:04:47 pm

Autosync does clip off where both video and audio isnt present, but once you put it into a sequence you can trim back in the head of the video or audio seperately if required.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Kyra Coffie
on Jan 14, 2012 at 10:03:32 pm

You seem to be very familiar with AutoSync and up to now, I haven't really had a use for it because I rarely (if ever) work with external audio.

What do you find as the benefits of AutoSync and what is the ideal situation for AutoSync? I read up on it in the Avid manual but it doesn't seem to be very useful unless the audio and video are exactly the same length. I know you can match frame to the original clip but I am a bit lazy (just being truthful) and if I ever have a choice I prefer to click on one or two clips and have all of my footage as opposed to clicking on 15 AutoSynced clips. (I'm incredibly partial to multigroups or putting everything into a sequence so I have fewer things to sift through.)

Any insight you can provide would be awesome!

Kyra

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]