FORUMS: list search recent posts

Link to AMA .R3D transcoded footage has no audio!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris long
Link to AMA .R3D transcoded footage has no audio!
on Jan 8, 2012 at 1:18:18 am

Hi there,

I've transcoded RED footage before in FCP and the audio guide track is audible. However, in MC 6 after linking to AMA Volume (File) and then transcoding to DNX36, I can't hear the audio that was recorded through the camera. I've read that this is a bug that Avid might be working on. Is this true? I need the audio as no clapper boards were used (only the Producer clapping in front of the camera) and I don't know which of the .WAV files relate to the take because they're not labelled properly.

Please advise!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Link to AMA .R3D transcoded footage has no audio!
on Jan 8, 2012 at 4:11:57 am

MC6 does not support audio from Epic recorded R3D files. Were the BWF jammed synced? If so, use timecode to match to find corresponding sound to picture.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

chris long
on Jan 8, 2012 at 11:53:04 am

Hi Michael,

Thanks for replying. Could you unpack that for me? 'BWF jammed synced'? The .WAV files don't have timecode of course. I can find the 'clap' visually on the video files and audibly on the .wavs, but I don't know which video clap relates to the correct audio clap. They recorded the audio guidetrack through the camera so that I could sync easily, but that was assuming I could hear the guidetrack on the RED footage when ingested!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 8, 2012 at 4:44:32 pm

On normal 'high end' shoots, wavs DO have timecode.
(then they are called BWF, broadcast Wave, but the extension is still .wav)
Avid will find the TC if it is there. Did you already import the Waves?
If there is indeed no timecode, you can fallback on creation time. That will bring you close...

Or, use QTchange to export the original files (if there are QT's) to BWF, sync them in Avid and you have your guide track.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 8, 2012 at 2:42:31 pm

Even if the bwf's are not jammed, you still may be able to do it if both cam and sound recorder were running in Freerun.
I've got an application here that accepts 2 (or 4) syncpoints and recalculates all others.
Mail me direct if you want to toy with it.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]