FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding Reel No

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic Lumiere
Adding Reel No
on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:40:36 pm

Used QT Change to add TC and Reel name to DSLR footage.

Converted to DNxHD via AMA -> Transcode route.

There doesn't seem to be Reel No which is rendering AAF with offline clips when going to DaVinci.

Any idea on how to add Reel No in MC?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Adding Reel No
on Jan 7, 2012 at 11:44:42 pm

Why not just use the filename as source when conforming in DaVinci? Each file will be its own source. Works fine for me. If you look at the TAPE column or the SOURCE FILE column what do you see? If I remember correctly, the REEL is added to the ALE file which you need to import first then merge the files into that in order to see that value in the TAPE column.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Jan 8, 2012 at 12:07:12 am

[Michael Phillips] "Why not just use the filename as source when conforming in DaVinci? Each file will be its own source. Works fine for me.

Where does one do that?

If you look at the TAPE column or the SOURCE FILE column what do you see?

Interesting. The TAPE is empty. The SOURCE FILE shows the original H.264 AMA file used to transcode the MXF (before it got clipped by consolidation)

If I remember correctly, the REEL is added to the ALE file which you need to import first then merge the files into that in order to see that value in the TAPE column. "

How do I do that?

Thank you!

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 8, 2012 at 1:11:12 am

If you export an AAF or EDL to DaVinci, it will use the value in the SOURCE FILE as its source and expects all files to start with 00:00:00:00. So if you AMA directly and export AAF/EDL, and in DaVinci set up to use the filename as source in the settings, then it will conform and you can color correct from there.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Jan 8, 2012 at 1:18:21 am

First off - thanks for all your help Michael!

I redid 40 hours of transcoding to DNxHD (Was MXF ProRes) from the AMA H.264 files specifically to be able to go to After Effects and DaVinci... now I'm discovering that AMA from the H.264 was the way to go in the first place... (sigh).

Forgive me for the novice question (very new to AVID) how do I take a sequence full of MXF DNxHD clips and conform it to the original H.264 files?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 8, 2012 at 2:57:56 am

Conform in MC or DaVinci?

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Jan 8, 2012 at 3:02:37 am

Whichever makes more sense really. Right now I have a DNxHD MXF based MC sequence. All the clips are the result of transcoding from AMA H.264 clips.

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 8, 2012 at 4:14:32 am

If the clips were transcoded to DNxHD 145 or higher you can just use those for final color correction as you won't gain much if anything by going back to the original H.264. Export AAF or EDL to DaVinci and point to the Avid Media Files folder as the source in the Media Pool.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Jan 8, 2012 at 5:17:04 am

That's exactly what I was doing when I wrote this post... ;)

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 8, 2012 at 1:22:18 pm

So now it's a DaVinci question... ;)

Timeline conform options in "settings", check the used embedded sources checkbox for "assist using" and try again. That should be the correct one for conforming to MXF files. But beforehand, add the Avid MediaFile folders to the media pool.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]