FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Sony F3 MPEG 4 files into Avid MC6 Question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jean Lee
Importing Sony F3 MPEG 4 files into Avid MC6 Question
on Jan 2, 2012 at 10:11:12 pm

Hello,

I am trying to import my MPEG 4 files from an external hardrive into MC6. The files are originally from the Sony F3 camera. I know I can bring them into MC6 by transcoding the files in XDCAM transfer and turning them into .mov files. But I also downloaded the AMA plugin, which I read is supposed to allow you to import your MPEG4 files directly into Avid without having to transcode all of them in a program like XDCAM transfer. Is this true?

Am I missing something? Or must I transcode all my files even with the AMA plugin?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
Re: Importing Sony F3 MPEG 4 files into Avid MC6 Question
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:17:15 pm

First make sure you bring over the entire BPAV folder from the SxS with all the folder architecture intact. Place each BPAV folder in folders called Card 01, Card 02 etc, however you would usually organise stuff. Then in Avid go to File->Link to AMA Volume and point to the Card 01 Folder or Card 02 Folder and Avid will look inside the BPAV folder and mount all the clips shot on that card. You can then edit with them natively, although some people still prefer to consolidate or transcode them into Avid MXF files, as this will give better performance.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Glen Crawford
on Sep 24, 2012 at 3:00:40 pm

I'm also having problems with files from a Sony F3 & AMA. Strange thing is, it's worked fine with files from this camera (a rental) before. AMA also works fine with files from my EX-1.

I can transcode the files within MC6 and they play fine. When using Sony XDCAM EX Clip Browser the clips show up but won't play from the card. I've copied them to the storage drive via Clip Browser and although they copy and I can see them on the hard drive, they don't show up on the storage drive when using the clip browser. The clip icons when viewed in ClipBrowser have an X at the end of the MP4 icon and I can't get any info about the file in the "A/V Format" section. Seems like something must be different in the camera set-up but can't figure out what. Ideas?

Return to posts index

Glen Crawford
on Sep 24, 2012 at 3:08:33 pm

With further investigation on this, the problem seems to be somewhere in the Picture Profile settings. When set to OFF, the clips are fine and AMA handles them normally. Any ideas as to what settings may interfere with AMA?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]