FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended technique to edit interviews

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic Lumiere
Recommended technique to edit interviews
on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:07:15 am

I've edited many many interviews over the years... but always on FCP.

I just switched to AVID and I love it. A much superior editing tool in my opinion. I am struggling to find my mojo (no pun intended) in making selects from interviews. In FCP, I would jump to the timecode from the paper edit, switch to the waveform in the viewer then do sub frame previewing to find the exact sample where I wanted the edit. This allowed for a very clean first pass, cutting at the exact syllable, breath, you name it.

In AVID, there doesn't seem to be 1/sub frame editing (audio samples) 2/ waveform view in the source.

Would love to get some advice from the pros as to a recommended editing technique to make the perfect select in the source based on audio.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Recommended technique to edit interviews
on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:12:02 am

There is no subframe audio editing in Avid. It's been a feature request for years.

However, you can see the waveforms in the source monitor. At the bottom of your timeline you'll see a button that looks like the source record monitors - hit that and your timeline will now show the source in the timeline window. You can now expand the audio tracks and turn on waveforms.

I suggest mapping that button to your keyboard or mouse if you have a multibutton mouse so you can quickly toggle to show the source, select the bit you want, toggle back to show the timeline and pick where you want to cut it in.

Avid's way is different than the FCP method of viewing the waveforms in the source window, but I much prefer the Avid method because you can navigate long clips much easier since you're viewing it like a timeline. Zoom in, expand tracks, toggle audio layers on and off the find the cleanest channels, etc...

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:27:54 am

Brilliant! Thank you Michael. You're right, much better than FCP.

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 29, 2011 at 2:19:17 pm

Don't forget the trim mode, also very powerful, especially as it has customizable pre-postroll times.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 29, 2011 at 4:36:16 pm

If you have transcripts of the interviews, there is nothing better than ScriptSync - basically select the desired text, and edit directly onto the timeline. Once there, trim as needed. If no transcript, then Phrasefind can be a huge help when looking for particular words or sentences.

Check out the videos on avid.com

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]