FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing Media Composer 6.0

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Cervarich
Installing Media Composer 6.0
on Dec 28, 2011 at 7:11:32 pm

I have been using FCS3 and am now considering Avid Media Composer 6.0. I have downloaded the trial version which states that I need OSX 10.7 or above to run it. I currently use OSX 10.6.8. I also have the ATI Radeon HD4870 graphics card and the Avid test was done with the GE Force GT120. Finally, I have the AJA LHi card.

I am wondering -

Should I update to OSX 10.7? Will I still be able to run all my old software including FCP7 should I need it? Is OSX 10.7 stable?

Will Media Composer 6.0 run using the ATI Radeon HD4870 card or will I need to buy the GE Force GT120 to run this software?

Will I need to do anything to my AJA card to make it work with this software?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I am using a 2 x 2.26 GHZ Quad-core Intel Xeon processor with 12 GB 1066 MHZ DDR3 memory.

Thanks in advance for any advice whatever...

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Installing Media Composer 6.0
on Dec 28, 2011 at 7:26:59 pm

I'm Running 6 machines on 10.6.8 with MC 6 So I wouldn't upgrade just yet also you won't need to upgrade you Graphics card either.

Download and install the trial see if you like it. I came from FCP as well and I am finding I Like MC 6 More and More.

your AJA is support so all you should need to do is download the latest drivers. Nice thing about is after that there shouldn't be any more configing to make it work. We use BMD multibridge for our IO and I was plesantly suprise on what little i had to do to get Avid to see it. wam bam it worked no figiting with the settings like in FCP.

Go for it. it takes a bit to get use to and its a bit frustrating overcoming the muscle memory build up from using FCP but its great for us.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:28:01 pm

Mike -

Thank you so much for your supportive response to my query. I have imported material into the Media Composer 6 trial version and see that my graphics card and my OSX will work just as you said. Think I'll take the plunge since you say the water is fine.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Dec 29, 2011 at 6:01:30 pm

Excellent, I haven't looked back, good luck.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]