FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 4.0 on G5 intel

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Gerber
MC 4.0 on G5 intel
on Dec 25, 2011 at 7:16:17 pm

Merry Christmas,

I'm setting up my editing system at home using MC4 on my G5 Intel 2x3 ghx dual-core intel xeon

mem: 4gb 667 mhz ddr2 fb-immm

What graphics card should I be using? Playing back HD footage shot on my HVX200 doesn't look like it should to me.

The card the G5 came with is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

I'm new at this and I am NOT a techy so please be kind!

Thanks
Mary

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: MC 4.0 on G5 intel
on Dec 25, 2011 at 10:51:37 pm

Hi there, a G5 cannot be an Intel, and vice versa. As you write Xeon, you are probably meaning an Intel-based Mac Pro. Check the Avid Version Matrix to check what OS version and drivers you should be using: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=267087

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 26, 2011 at 6:12:35 pm

As Bouke and Shane stated, your machine is not a G5.

It sounds like you have a have an early Mac Pro. This Mac Pro will run MC 4 and will even run MC 6 ( however it will be unsupported, as if I have your machine correctly identified, it will not boot the 64 bit kernel)

As stated, check the matrix on Avids website to determine the optimal OS for your version of Avid.

Avid supports any graphics card supported for your Mac.

You should seriously upgrade your RAM. 4 GB is way to little. I have 32GB in a similar machine, but you don't need to max it out like I did,

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 26, 2011 at 6:14:48 pm

On the bottom of the timeline is picture quality button. Set it to green for full quality. If its set to yellow, half yellow/half green, or "10" you will see diminished image quality (draft mode).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]