FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC 6 Media Creation menu and Import menu

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
Avid MC 6 Media Creation menu and Import menu
on Dec 20, 2011 at 10:02:37 pm

I have question regarding the media creation menu in the setting tab. In that menu there is a tab which says import there i can select a multitude of video resolutions. but then when i go to the import dialog, either via the drop down menu up top or a right click in the bin, the options there are missing some of the options that were found in the media creation one. Namely in the media creation menu there is a XDcam HD 17.5Mbits MXF, But in the Import Dialog that option isn't there, their is only the 35 Mbit or 50Mbit.

My goal here is to create a work flow for doing a offline Multicamera edit. We shot 9 cameras that recorded to XDcam HD 50Mbit MOVs. my systems can't handle that many streams at that bit rate at once. So i want to import them at a smaller bitrate and re wrap to MXF. do my the edit while on a separate machine i want to just re rap the high res MOVs (50mbit) to MXF. When i am done with the offline edit all i need to do is relink to the new high res MXFs.

i can't seem to import xdcam 17.5 mbit MXFs, the other option in the import dialog is Apple pro Res Proxy. This is taking about 24 hours to import 3 camera angles. (concert was about 2 hours long). i would guess that being able to just go from xdcam hd 50 Mbit MOV to XDcam HD 17.5 MXF would be quicker for the avid since it won't have to completed transcode the media and rewrap.

any and all help would be much apprciated.

My project is set to 1080i 59.94 rec 709 raster diemension 1920x1080

My orginal video clips are 1920x1080 59.94 xdcam HD422 (50Mbit) MOVs

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
Re: Avid MC 6 Media Creation menu and Import menu
on Dec 22, 2011 at 10:33:01 pm

Not sure about how to get the option up in the import but I would questoin weather such a codec is suitable for multicam editing. It's gonna make your processor struggle. Personally I would flip the project over to an SD project, transcode to whatver option has an m next to it (its 8:1m or 10:1m in PAL projects, not sure about NTSC) do the edit and then flip the project back and relink.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Avid MC 6 Media Creation menu and Import menu
on Dec 27, 2011 at 7:31:47 pm

That seems like a good workflow, do you think i would have any issues flip floping from SD to HD.

What i decided to do was AMA link to my Full res MOVs then use the consolidate/transcode to down res to a proxy file, in this case i did do xdcam 17.5 my system can handle the 9 angles just fine.

But thank you for the advise i will try this out and see if it works better.

Thank you

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]