FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Media Composer 5.5 Adding an image, tracking

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcie Maute
Avid Media Composer 5.5 Adding an image, tracking
on Dec 20, 2011 at 7:12:40 am

Hey All, I am new to the forums and fairly new to Avid.
I shot a feature film on the Canon 7d, coded h264, have gone through FCP and FCP Color and the film is now linked AMA in Avid as prores 422 HQ.
I have a few jobs I was hoping Avid could assist me with. Small things that happen on low budgets, such as covering up a pant logo (not blurring it out, basically trying to make it look like pant instead of logo) and adding license plates to cars.
The clip I am currently working on is a clip where someone had a flame themed license plate and since my film is set in a small town in the 1970s, I would like to import an image of a period relevant license plate and replace the flame one. I have practiced and been able to cover the plate with a black rectangle, but it doesn't have the look I am going for.
Does anyone have any idea how to apply a jpg over footage and track it? I have done it in After Effects, but I would like to stay in Avid for the remainder of post.

Any help is appreciated, thanks so much!
Marcie

Return to posts index

James Beattie
Re: Avid Media Composer 5.5 Adding an image, tracking
on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:54:07 pm

Put your new license plate on a layer above the piece of video you wish to replace.

Now put an effect on it, my favorite is a 3dPIP. Then go in and choose the tracker in the effect mode. Add 4 track points onto the layer with your existing license plate (when you start moving things around, the layer you are working on goes invisible). Hit the start track button.

Once your track is done, your overlay should be complete.

I am oversimplifying some steps, but those are the primary pieces.

If you have used motion or after effects in the past, based on your particular experience it may be easier to export, composite and bring it back in. The Avid is perfectly capable of doing it, but it is all about being familiar with the tools, and having enough time to experiment and learn.

Return to posts index

Marcie Maute
Re: Avid Media Composer 5.5 Adding an image, tracking
on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:48:46 am

Thanks for your help. However, when I pull my image in, its a jpeg, the image is in there center and the background is black. So when I apply the image and resize it, the only thing that appears after tracking is an odd shaped black form. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think is to pull it into photoshop and make non background and export it from there.

Also quick question, I am working with .mov files pro res 422 hq that I have ama linked into avid. Once I am done rendering my effect, how do I export the clip? I have tried "same as source" but I keep getting an error message that says "no valid resolution found to be exported same as source".

My project is set up as 16:9 HD 1080i 1920x1080 which didn't give me any issues in FCP.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]