FORUMS: list search recent posts

MojoSDI Not Working w/ New Workstation

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cummins
MojoSDI Not Working w/ New Workstation
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:11:48 pm

Having an issue getting the MojoSDI to work with my new computer. Can't find anything the fits with previous posts. Just upgraded from an HP xw8400 with MC 5.0.3 and MojoSDI to a newer custom-built computer. Here are the new specs:

Built around the specs of the Avid-certified HP z800 (exact same motherboard).
2x Intel Xeon E5620 Quad-core @ 2.40GHz
16GB RAM (4x4GB sticks)
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 (1GB)
Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter (ISIS Controller Card)
MojoSDI
Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Media Composer 5.5.3

So we upgraded to MC5.5, installed it on the new computer. Blasted the dongle, updated the MojoSDI's firmware. Connected the MojoSDI to the comp's rear on-board Firewire port (front-port, the only other onboard 1394 port, is unused). System detects it, and so I start editing away. I'm working on a show in HD, so the only thing the Mojo's giving me is audio. Everything's happy and fine. Then I suddenly get this error:
Exception: ADM_DIO_ERROR_OCCURRED, DIOerr:A device on the 1394 bus causing problems. Please remove it or disable 'Output To DV Device'. - FTStatus Code - FT_LinkInitializationFailed - FlamethrowerLinkManager::OpenLink - Failed to create link object.

At this point, everytime I scrub or play, the Composer window goes black with white letters giving me the same error: "A device on the 1394 bus causing problems... blah blah." (paraphrasing there...)
I have to completely shut down the computer, power-cycle the MojoSDI, and then bring everything back up before I can do anything. This is only about a 3-min process. But I've since run into this 1-3 times a day every single day for the last several weeks.

Now we have several ingest/finishing stations, but mine is purely editing. So for the most part I get media pre-loaded on the ISIS media server we have, edit it, and then someone else finishes on one of the MojoDX stations. The only time I ever use the MojoSDI is when recording scratch narration or when a client comes to an edit session (I'll then switch to SD and recreate any motion clips in HD later). After a few weeks of limping along, with no rhyme or reason as to when the "1394 bus" error will occur, I switch to SD format and open the capture tool. Audio is on RCA as a default, so I switch it to SDI as we always do and I get either the previous error or, more often than not, a new one:
Exception: Lava Get of EmbedSDIAudio failed

Well played, Avid. Clicking on this error brings it right back up again. I can still do a lot in the 1/4second I have between error windows, but I eventually have to close out the program. Simply reopening it fixes it, but I still can't capture in SD mode.

Seeing the "A device on the 1394 bus causing problems" leads me to believe it's an issue with the onboard bus. So I grabbed the PCI Firewire card out of my old HP xw8400 and slapped it in. Seems to do the same thing as the onboard bus. Lets me edit, but not capture (same error messages), and still gives me the "1394 bus" error at least once a day, requiring a complete shutdown.

So we got a new StarTech 1394 PCIe x1 card. Tried it in both the x1 slot and the x16 slot. No joy. I could connect external drives to it fine, but when I'd connect just the Mojo to it, I'd get nothing. It'd see the MojoSDI in Device Manager, but in Avid I would have no audio signal. Trying to capture anyway I get these errors:
Exception: ADM_DIO_ERROR_OCCURED, DIOerr:Flamethrower timeout: Transmit request timed out 200.118000 milliseconds

and
Exception: DVAUDIO_MANAGER_LAVA_EXECUTE_ERROR

Sooo... I'm back to using the onboard port and limping along.

Oh, and I made sure not to have any other Firewire device connected to the card or the computer while the MojoSDI was connected.

Any ideas? I don't want to go buy the newest "AVID-approved" Pyro card until I'm sure that this is a 1394 bus issue.

Return to posts index

James Beattie
Re: MojoSDI Not Working w/ New Workstation
on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:25:43 pm

In my opinion it is a firewire issue. This is error is mentioned included in the Z800 config guide:

The Z800 are very specific about the firewire card that are in them. It is a bus issue. The firewire card has to have a 2k buffer on it. Here are some links to the supported cards:
Current qualified PCI-Express 1394b Firewire cards are:

1.) StarTech PEX1394B3 StarTech PEX1394B3 (AVID P/N 7030-30029-01)
2.) Dynex DX-PCI2PF
3.) Point Grey Research FWB-PCIE-01

Return to posts index

Michael Cummins
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:22:09 pm

The card I'm using now is a StarTech PEX1394A2. Looks like I'll have to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Tue Heyn
on Dec 21, 2011 at 1:34:58 pm

Hi Michael,
Its the firewire drivers that comes with win7. There was a bug that they fixed in SP1 - But still, you need to "downgrade" the firewiredrivers in devicemanager for the firewirecard. Manually you have to choose the "Legacy" driver for the card. This should fix your issue.

Good luck
Tue Heyn

Return to posts index

Michael Cummins
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:32:56 pm

Just tried it. Selected the Legacy driver, shut down the comp, cycled power on the MojoSDI, and booted back up. It seemed to fix the issue at first. I was able to see input from our D-Beta deck. Video and Audio, so there's some progress! But... I then get my "Cannot lock to Automatic" error and then the never-ending "Lava Get of EmbedSDIAudio failed" exception.

Still no audio coming through the Mojo when playing the timline, however. No signal on the VU either. Have to switch from DNA to 1394, bypassing the Mojo, to get anything done.

I'll be switching to a new card soon as I get some other things worked out. I need to make sure my Intel Workstation Board s5520sc has the right specs for its PCI slot. It's different from the Tylersburg board that the z800 uses, but our computer-builder has successfully used these boards when building other custom Avid comps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]