FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 & 3rd party hardware, best path for future?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
MC6 & 3rd party hardware, best path for future?
on Dec 19, 2011 at 2:18:42 pm

I now run MC5 on a MacBook 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo as software only. I'm researching a 3rd party hardware solution for HD video playback to share with a yet unknown 2nd cpu I'll get in 2012. Bear with me but with the arrival of MC6, this is all new to me. (Yes I also use FCP)

In a home-studio setting where a do half of my work (lots for the web) I don't have a burning need for proper HD video monitoring. That said, an affordable solution for this using 3rd party hardware is within reach.

Next year I'll replace an old G5 with a new CPU, not sure if it will be a MacPro. In theory it would be nice if 3rd party hardware could work with *both* the MacBook and the tbd CPU. I've only just started the research and things point to a Kona i/o box (and a ExpressCard or x1-lane PCI interface) or some kind of Kona-like card that lives in a external expansion chassis (so it's share-able and not stuck inside a cpu). I'm just starting my research, pointers very welcome.

Best,

Paul

P.S. I don't know how/where it might get used in the mix but I also have a Mojo SDI I use with the G5 running legacy MC.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MC6 & 3rd party hardware, best path for future?
on Dec 19, 2011 at 7:00:41 pm

Want solutions that work for the Tower and Laptop? Sure...there are two.

The AJA IO Express has connector for Express34 for a laptop, and a PCIe card for the tower. It comes with one (you specify which) and you will have to buy the other one.

Matrox MXO2 line. OK, in this line, there are many. The MXO2 Rack, MXO2, MXO2 LE, MXO2 Mini. All work with laptops via Express34 and towers via PCIe cards.

Those are your options. The IO EXpress and MXO2 Mini work with MC 5.5...but all work with MC 6.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: MC6 & 3rd party hardware, best path for future?
on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:42:38 am

Shane,

The AJA I0XT will do the same for Thunderbolt Macbooks and Imacs? Too bad they didn't include the PCIe port on the XT because I have Macs with all three configurations and I assume the Thunderbolt one will be the future?

Craig

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]