FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon DSLR Avid Workflow?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Schmitt
Canon DSLR Avid Workflow?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:01:23 am

Hi,

Was wondering what the ideal workflow is when working with Canon H264 DSLR footage. I know in Final Cut I'm supposed to convert all of the files to Apple Pro Res 422. Should I do the same in Avid? Also what should my Media Creation "Import" settings be at?

Thanks

Dustin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon DSLR Avid Workflow?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:38:55 am

Do not IMPORT. You use AMA to access the footage, then TRANSCODE to DNxHD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dustin Schmitt
on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:28:49 pm

Thanks Shane,

I was just reading about the AMA work flow and one of the limitations when using it is:
-Avid does not support MultiCamera eding with AMA clips
-You should not mix workflows. Either use the AMA method or use the traditional import/batch import method

Do you know if FCP has these same issues? Is FCP a better work flow for the Canon DSLR scene.

I can do it, however I am way more fluid with Avid than I am with FCP.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

D

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:36:43 pm

[Dustin Schmitt] "I was just reading about the AMA work flow and one of the limitations when using it is:
-Avid does not support MultiCamera eding with AMA clips
-You should not mix workflows. Either use the AMA method or use the traditional import/batch import method"

Note...I did say "Transcode to DNxHD." Don't work with H.264 files natively. They are highly compressed, and put a lot of strain on the system.

[Dustin Schmitt] "Do you know if FCP has these same issues? Is FCP a better work flow for the Canon DSLR scene."

Nope...cannot edit H.264 native in FCP either. Well, you can, but things slow way down and get sluggish. Just like on Avid. For that, you convert to ProRes...either via Log and Transfer (with the EOS L&T Plugin), or Magic Bullet Grinder, or MPEG STreamclip. But gotta convert to ProRes.

Wanna work with DSLR footage native? Get Adobe Premere Pro...a beefy computer, a LOT of RAM, and a spendy Nvidia graphics card that will enable CUDA and allow the Mercury Engine to kick in and THEN you can edit H.264 native. It takes a LOT of horsepower.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dustin Schmitt
on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:08:48 pm

Thanks Shane.

Just to be clear, I go from H264 to DNxHD?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:32:28 pm

[Dustin Schmitt] "I go from H264 to DNxHD?"

Yes. AMA to access the media. Then CLIP>TRANSCODE and use DNxHD 145.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dustin Schmitt
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:51:50 pm

Thanks for all your help Shane.

Return to posts index

enrico bartolacci
on Dec 17, 2011 at 10:10:59 am

[Dustin Schmitt] "-Avid does not support MultiCamera eding with AMA clips
-You should not mix workflows. Either use the AMA method or use the traditional import/batch import method"

In fact, i'm editing with MC 6.0 clips coming from avchd (canon hf200) and from canon 7d.

avchd was really heavy so I did a transcode after ama linking to the clip, while 7d were only linked by ama.

Then, I grouped the clips using in points (so, dnxhd 185 for avchd transcoded clips + quicktime h.264 linekd by ama) and begin editing in multicamera... and it works.
It's a little heavy (perhaps worse because an intensity shuttle was plugged in, will investigate) but the multicamera was working as expected, even if there were mixed workflows AND mixed formats (ama linked into a multicamera group).

I am pretty sure it's the same with media composer 5.0, as I used multicamera with 7d + p2 files, and at least the p2 (dvchd) were surely linked, while don't remember if 7d were linked or transcoded.

----------------

regarding the workflow, you have the option to:

- work with ama linked (no transcoding, no heavier use of disk space, lower performances)
- ama link then transcode (this way the transcoding is FASTER than importing)

you can also do a rough edit with ama linked files, then a transcode to dnxhd 36 for offline edit, then do a "batch import" of the sequence to dnxhd 185 (or 185x if there is much color correction) for online.
Or work directly in 36 then batch import.
Or work in 36 then relink to original h.264 files

So, you have plenty of options as workflow, depending on you machine spec and time needed.

JUST A FINAL NOTE
As it seems you're not familiar with ama or media composer ama linking, take care of this:
if you transcode to dnxhd 36 for offline, you SHOULDN'T transcode the sequence to dnxhd 185 for offline. This way you will get only a bigger file but will be originating from dnxhd 36 transcoded media.
To use higher quality media, you have to do a BATCH IMPORT of the sequence, this way the transcoding will be done from the original h.264 media.
right click on SEQUENCE and select batch import.

This will transcode only the clips you used in the sequence.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Dec 16, 2011 at 3:31:59 pm

Chances are, one way or another, you're gonna have to transcode your native footage to DNxHD before you export from Media Composer.This is true for certain FX or exports to Quicktime reference. So, importing AMA and transcoding within Avid MC is just one way to do this.

There are alternatives which allow trancoding to DNxHD before importing to Avid, then when you import, Avid will do a "fast import" which isn't transcoding, just re-wrapping the mxf file. My favorite methods incluse pre-processing in Adobe Media Encoder, TmpgEnc, or Adobe After Effects. AE is a good approach since you can do some stabilizing or sharpening in AE before the fats import to MC.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:02:10 pm

Shanes suggestion of accessing via ama and then transcoding is best, then you can use multicam as youre no longer accessing the media via ama.
I do this all the time
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:12:13 pm

I also use Resolve to make native MXF/DNxHD dailies. Not only can I apply a LUT (if CineStyle is used for example), but I have a pretty kick-ass color corrector to boot... ;)

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Dustin Schmitt
on Dec 18, 2011 at 7:16:08 pm

Do you know which Driver I need to instal for the AMA to work with my DSLR? Can you send me the link?

Thanks!

Dustin

Return to posts index

enrico bartolacci
on Dec 20, 2011 at 9:01:04 am

ama plugin for quicktime dslr should be included in 6.0 download.

If you need avchd or any other, on the other hand, you must go to avid website and search KB for the download link to ama plugins.

Return to posts index

Chad Gottfried
on Jun 4, 2013 at 12:10:14 am

Hi there,
I see this thread is a couple of years old, but it's related to my question.

I'm just getting acquainted with Avid MC6 and have found a couple different ways to bring in DSLR footage.
1) Link AMA files to the footage on my hard drive, then transcode them using DNxHD 145 (seemingly recommended method).
2) Encode files using Adobe Encoder and selecting mxf (XDCAM 50), then link these using AMA link to files.

Both work. I found using Adobe Encoder about 25% faster than transcoding (for small files anyway), but I did notice that the image was richer using the transcoding method, despite the fact that both version have the same colour space (YCbCr 709).

Is there a reason for this and is the transcoding method (though a bit longer) better quaility and better for post colour correcting)?
Thanks,

Chad Gottfried

"Don't always believe what you think."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]