FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange Happenings with XDCAM disc footage

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Maghran
Strange Happenings with XDCAM disc footage
on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:49:14 am

Hi All,

Something strange happened to me when digitizing XDCAM Disc the other day into a 30i project (15:1s). I had diged days and days of footage without hiccups, grouped it all fine. Without changing any settings at all on the disc/computer/adrenaline- the following happened:

We have cameras A,B,C,D from the date 12/05. Multicam shoot. When digitizing, cam loads A,C,D ONLY on TWO SEPARATE xdcam decks, instead of creating one clip per chapter as per usual, it started making me new clips every 3 minutes or so (I'd end up with around 25 per tape). You can imagine how much of a nightmare it becomes to group when the sequence is 12-15 hours long.

The mystery remains to me as to why this did not happen on cam load B, and why it happened on both decks. When simply watching the footage through the deck, it shows no TC breaks, no 2 seconds of black in between each clip when autosequenced. I tried every remedy I could think of, consulted avid techs, re-diged old footage without a problem. Very, very confused and very tired from syncing this mess.

Any ideas? Sorry for the novel.

Return to posts index

James Beattie
Re: Strange Happenings with XDCAM disc footage
on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:34:46 pm

I would imagine there is a TC break, which is dangerous when editing at a lower resolution and re-digitizing later.

In the capture settings (under settings tab in project window) you can set to digitize across timecode breaks. See if you can turn off deck control and capture for an extended period of time. This will help prove it is not the Avid digitize engine causing issues or frame drops.

Are you capturing across firewire onto firewire drives? I have seen that cause an issue as well.

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
Re: Strange Happenings with XDCAM disc footage
on Dec 26, 2011 at 4:17:37 pm

James, I had tried unchecking and rechecking 'capture across tc breaks' as well as 'stop capture when a bad frame is detected.' It doesn't matter any more, but I was just trying to figure out what happened. Ive never seen a capture issue like this in the past.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]