FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I collect all media used in a timeline in Avid Media Composer?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caitlin miller
Can I collect all media used in a timeline in Avid Media Composer?
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:41:31 am

I recently inherited a project that's really a mess. The previous editor had no organizational system and there's over 100 bins. I know in Final Cut Pro you can open media manager which collects all media used in a timeline and saves it to a new folder. Is there an equal tool in avid? If not, does anyone have advice as to how to go about organizing this?

Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Can I collect all media used in a timeline in Avid Media Composer?
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:37:02 am

If you want to move the media itself, the function is called consolidate. This will move the media from hard drive to hard drive. Granted, Final Cut Pro can keep media in any folder on your hard dive, but Avid can only store Media in a file at the root level called "Avid Media Files"

If it's the master clips that you want to see, starting with your sequence, if your sequence is in a bin with other sequence, drag it into a bin with only that sequence. Then click on the hamburger menu in the lower right of the bin display. There should be an option called "Set Bin Display". Click on it, and at the bottom there is a feature called "Show Reference Clips". Enable that. Now it shows all those clips in the bin as well as the sequence. If you don't want to see them anymore, you can uncheck this option. Otherwise, you can drag them into a new bin to reference them later.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

enrico bartolacci
on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:59:22 am

there is also another option.

open tools->media tool, select "all drives" on right panel, and the project you are working in in the left, it will open ALL the media of this tool (even the precompute if you checked this, the media and so on).
Then, you can select all of them and copy to another bin

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Dec 15, 2011 at 2:58:19 pm

You can also Decompose a sequence. This will create new media (maybe something you want to do, maybe not) and reduce the length of clips to the duration used.

Richards suggestion is probably what you are looking for so you can organize clips.

If you are moving to another system (or backing up media) and only want the media associated with one project, Media Mover will help move only the media you want.
http://www.randomvideo.com/products/mediamover_avid.html

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Dec 15, 2011 at 3:13:16 pm

[Ed Cilley] "You can also Decompose a sequence. This will create new media (maybe something you want to do, maybe not) and reduce the length of clips to the duration used. "

Decompose doesn't create new media. Consolidate does. If you consolidate a sequence it creates new media based on what you used in your sequence, plus the length of handles you specify. It's great when moving a sequence to another drive or system, or to backup the master cut.

Decompose just creates new master clips based on what you use in the sequence (with handles, I believe), but those master clips are offline. Then you recapture. It's basically for offline/online workflows.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:56:37 pm

Ed,

I've never personally used media mover, though I hear it praised all over the forums. What is the advantage of media mover over consolidate, outside of not tying up the Avid?

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:12:59 pm

[Richard Sanchez] " What is the advantage of media mover over consolidate"

Sure Richard,

Two different tasks. I use consolidate when I am pulling media from various workspaces in a networked environment. That way all media lives on one drive (workspace) and if the project is opened in another room, only the assigned workspace needs to be mounted.

Then I use Media Mover for backing up media or moving to an external HDD for off-site editing. It can search multiple workspaces or drives and moves all selected media into a folder labeled with the Project name. Then we can backup to LTO or desired archive solution. Neat and tidy.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:21:14 pm

Thanks!

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:37:43 pm

Media mover actually moves the original, whereas consolidate will create a new media file. Even if they are the same size. Media Mover essentially takes all of the files from that project on the desktop and moves them off. Great for archiving. However, that would not help in the instance of only needing what is in the sequence.

Return to posts index

Mike Varga
on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:01:17 pm

is media mover still supported or the best solution using mc 7.0.2?

Mike Varga
FCP7/FCP10/Avid/Premier editor

Return to posts index

Caitlin miller
on Dec 15, 2011 at 3:18:43 pm

Consolidating seems to be exactly what I want to do. How do I go about doing it?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Dec 15, 2011 at 3:22:38 pm

If you want to consolidate your sequence (make new media with handles of just the footage used in the sequence), do this:

1. Duplicate your sequence and drop it into its own bin.
2. Select the sequence and choose Consolidate. The Consolidate command maybe available with a right click - if not, search the menus. It's in one of them. I'm not at an Avid right now.
3. Pick a drive to consolidate to and let it go to work.

That's the gist of it. Search the Help files if you need more detail.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Caitlin miller
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:03:41 pm

Thanks for the support. As soon as I can OPEN the project, I will do this. Now I'm having a different problem where I can't even open the project. Please see my new post:
"PC project and mac compatibility question: IMPORTANT!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]