FORUMS: list search recent posts

Effects Nesting/Stacking Order

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Effects Nesting/Stacking Order
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:26:01 am

It seems this is not allowed as a drag feature from the effects edit window the way AE and FCP do. I tried "title matte" and then switched from start middle end but that didn't affect anything. My guess is it has to be done in the timeline via step in? Or can it not be changed after the effect is added?

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
Re: Effects Nesting/Stacking Order
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:13:56 am

Not sure about your specific situation but the general rule of thumb is if you want an effect on top of the current one then option drag the effect onto the clip and it will autonest the current effect, if you want it behind the current effect then step in and apply it there.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:05:39 pm

David,

Hopefully Andrew's tip helped. If not here is a tutorial that explains the basics. There are more available on that site.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/70172/392368.aspx#392368

Ed

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:18:18 pm

I understand the concept. My question is after having stacked them in a particular order, how can they be reordered? That video link wouldn't play unfortunately. In fcp/ae you simply drag one up or down. In AE they cannot be dragged in the effects editor. My guess is there's some way to do it after having stepped in. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Return to posts index

enrico bartolacci
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:51:29 pm

There could be probably a faster approach, but a workaround is to use the fillers.

instead of stepping in, you create a clip of the same lenght in a track over the clip you have the nested effects in. then, you go to the effect you want changed, open effects editor and drag the icon of the effect (this way you copy the effect) to the filler. after that, you delete the effect in the clip, then copy or add the effect you have in the filler to the clip in the position you want in the nest.

when I was writing this answer, I found a faster way (available only if the effect have same number of originating tracks): open effect editor in the lower node then drag the effects to the order you want

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Dec 14, 2011 at 8:13:34 pm

And that's the gotcha...

[enrico bartolacci] "only if the effect have same number of originating tracks"

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:04:22 pm

Sorry, one more thought as I sit here and edit...

Drag or Option-drag (Alt-drag) the effect icon into a bin. Then place it in the order you want, and delete the original effect. Thus changing the order.

If you haven't used this method of copying effects, it's worth learning about. It is really helpful with text and can even be used to copy individual parameters of effects (i.e., Scaling or Position).

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Dec 30, 2011 at 10:39:29 am

In MC6 I can drag the effects in the Effect Editor to reorder them. Also, clicking on the effect doesn't select them but clicking on a selected effect, selects another (counter intuitive but it works - probably a bug). The delete effect button delete the top effect in the list.

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]