FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Network AND Codec / Format Support?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Larkin
Avid Network AND Codec / Format Support?
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:03:40 pm

We're looking to jump off of Final Cut Pro finally.

I've been testing Adobe Premiere Pro, which is very comparable, but has a few major drawbacks. Being an Avid Editor (a long time ago) I've been waiting for this product to catchup to some of the FCP and PP feature sets and it sure seems like it has with the 64 bit release. Here's the big workflow question:

1) We use Macs to edit all kinds of media files -- movs, avis, mp4s, mpegs, aacs, you-name-it--across our network using Gb Ethernet and Apple's own AFP networking protocol. So we don't have any real hardware / software solution like UNITY.

So can we use Avid across our shared storage (a MacPro Sever connected to a GbE switch to clients using AFP) or do we have to use UNITY to edit across a network?

2) How does Avid's Media Engine work with non OMF / AAF files? Does it have to create proxies or little reference files for things like AAC or H.264? Can you through anything at it and not have to render/conform/generate reference files?

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SML

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Network AND Codec / Format Support?
on Dec 12, 2011 at 6:59:13 pm

[Shawn Larkin] "So can we use Avid across our shared storage (a MacPro Sever connected to a GbE switch to clients using AFP) or do we have to use UNITY to edit across a network?"

Well, with 5.5 you can use non-unity servers like that via Ethernet as storage. But you cannot have Unity like Avid project sharing. That's unique to Unity. I heard that MC6 doesn't work with Ethernet based storage, unless it is Unit Isis. But don't quote me on that.

[Shawn Larkin] "2) How does Avid's Media Engine work with non OMF / AAF files? Does it have to create proxies or little reference files for things like AAC or H.264? Can you through anything at it and not have to render/conform/generate reference files?"

Using AMA, Avid can "access" many file types...from tapeless camera formats (you will need to install the specific AMA drivers for the cameras), and QT files. But, working with those files NATIVELY? Not smoothly, for sure. Avid wants Avid media. MXF is the newer version, OMFI the older version. It would do a lot better if you converted. If you insist on working with multiple formats of video natively, the Premiere is the NLE you want to use.

Right tool for the right job.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
Re: Avid Network AND Codec / Format Support?
on Dec 12, 2011 at 9:51:21 pm

That was all the information I needed. Much appreciated, Shane :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]