FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 query...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Dylewski
P2 query...
on Dec 9, 2011 at 7:16:35 pm

OK. I know I should know this....but....

If I shoot two or three different projects on a P2 card, and I want to save my files off to a HD for use by my Avid, it seems like I have to bring in ALL of the footage on those cards, so that the "last clip" file and the file structure stays intact. Is that correct? Or can I just bring in the mxf files for one project, but not the others?

Thanks...

Ron

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 query...
on Dec 9, 2011 at 7:40:07 pm

Always...always...ALWAYS back up the full card structure. I mean ALWAYS. That is your MASTER TAPE. Because you re-use cards you must always back up the full card. Back it up onto a drive you intend to archive. Don't import into Avid, and then delete the card. That's like capturing a tape and throwing the tape away.

AMA the P2 footage to access it from the card or card backup, then CONSOLIDATE the clips you want into the project. It will move the select few to your media drive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
on Dec 9, 2011 at 8:37:53 pm

And store it in 2 places. Hard drives fail. Filesystems can get corrupted. I am constantly drumming the adage "If it doesn't live in 2 places, it doesn't exist." into the heads of our producers.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Ron Dylewski
on Dec 9, 2011 at 9:10:04 pm

Shane -

Thanks. That's what I thought. So basically this means that you can't pick and choose stuff off the card. It's all or nothing at all. Your analogy of a master tape (or OCN) is a good one.

Ron

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 9, 2011 at 10:51:40 pm

You can consolidate only the clips you want. You can avoid some clips. Bring in via AMA...look at what you have, consolidate only what you want.

But unlike FCP, you cannot mark IN and OUT points and only bring in sections of the footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]