FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid "native" codec and fast-import questions...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Baril
Avid "native" codec and fast-import questions...
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:07:41 am

Hello Cows,
I am totally new to Avid ( I have been editing for 10 years with FCP but you know... ).
I am trying to decipher what is the meaning of "native" when it comes to Avid. I don't really understand what they mean when I create a project and I have a bunch of "native" codec available. Are they related to AMA?

Also the fast-import stuff. So far I was able to fast-import some Prores converted to DNXHD by compressor in Avid, but I am wondering, where can I find a list of codec that can be fast-import? Is it only the DNX ones?? Or does it depend on some settings in my project??

Thanx in advance for clearing things out. So far it is a great journey to learn Avid ; )

Pat

Return to posts index

Paul Del Vecchio
Re: Avid "native" codec and fast-import questions...
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:58:44 am

Avid native codecs are the codecs that Avid supports in the .MXF format. You'll see a list of them in your Media Creation settings. But what you are referring to might mean what codecs Avid can AMA import and edit directly without rewrapping to MXF files. Fast importing allows you to import files in the MXF formats Avid supports without having to re-transcode them. So if you have a DNxHD quicktime file (wrapped in the .mov wrapper), you can import that into Avid and it should say "fast importing." This, as the name suggests, imports the files quicker than the typical transcoding.

Here's more AMA info - http://www.avid.com/US/products/Avid-Media-Access

DNxHD as well as ProRes can be "Fast Imported" but you'll have to make sure your import settings are set to 16-235 instead of 0-255 RGB.

[Pat Baril] "Hello Cows,
I am totally new to Avid ( I have been editing for 10 years with FCP but you know... ).
I am trying to decipher what is the meaning of "native" when it comes to Avid. I don't really understand what they mean when I create a project and I have a bunch of "native" codec available. Are they related to AMA?

Also the fast-import stuff. So far I was able to fast-import some Prores converted to DNXHD by compressor in Avid, but I am wondering, where can I find a list of codec that can be fast-import? Is it only the DNX ones?? Or does it depend on some settings in my project??

Thanx in advance for clearing things out. So far it is a great journey to learn Avid ; )

Pat"

Paul Del Vecchio - Director
http://www.triple-e-productions.net
http://www.pauldv.net

Return to posts index

Brown Maty
Re: Avid "native" codec and fast-import questions...
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:53:32 am

Avid's native codec is DNxHD. If the imported files are MXF, AVCHD, ect videos, we have to use AMA Plugin to transcode them to the DNxHD codec and import to Avid editing.

Sony NEX-FS700 AVCHD to FCP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]