FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor Suggestions

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Mushinskie
Monitor Suggestions
on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:02:28 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting the Matrrox MX02 Mini Max box for my system. I like that I can use it with both Avid and FCP- and the H264 acceleration is a huge plus. I'm trying to decide on an appropriate monitor to use with it. The stuff that I am cutting is mostly web and DVD, nothing broadcast. I would like to color correct on this monitor. I'm looking for something reasonable that would also serve as a client viewing monitor.

I recently discovered this new Panasonic screen-TH-42BT300U that is in my price range and seems to have been well received. (http://www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=1487). I know I'm supposed to be on the look out for 1:1 pixel mapping and color calibration options.

Has anyone seen the new Panasonic screens? Or have any other recommendations of products in a similar price range and size?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Bill DePalma
Re: Monitor Suggestions
on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:49:06 pm

Chris
I'll just throw a word of caution out concerning the the Matrox mini. I use that box with great results on both FCP and MC 5.5.3 however, if you are planning to use MC6 then the mini will only currently with with your Avid. I switched back from MC6 to 5.5.3 for that reason. Matrox has not come out with drivers that work on all 3 platforms at once, Adobe, Apple and Avid. If you do a quick check of their site you'll see the MC6 driver ONLY works on MC6.
The Panasonic seems like a solid choice for a monitor.

Return to posts index

Anna Chiara
Re: Monitor Suggestions
on Dec 13, 2011 at 12:04:12 am

Hello I am seeking a longer conversation on this topic...

I haven't seen anything on the market that supports all three editing systems, so I am focusing my energy on designing an avid workstation since I am in a position to start from scratch (and am in the process of learning avid, I have been an FCP user since its inception and trying to get over the low blow of FCPX by finding a new lover).

-Are there any digital based systems (software plug-ins perhaps) out there for establishing monitoring on-screen (not broadcast monitor)? Similar to how we do for print work with inDesign or Photoshop with an iOne display device. I am producing content solely for web with the occasional possibility of iPad or display systems of that nature. I just feel like there must be a new front for this kind of media production that never moves beyond the uncalibrated consumer computer screen (beyond vimeo or youtube) of course there is the archiving factor which has me shackled to broadcast, but it seems like there are possibilities to avoid the old tape based reality of hardware interfaces.

-Any other broadcast monitor recommendations (for people who make stuff just for the web).

-recommendations on hardware interfaces for monitoring in Avid?

I would love to hear about peoples set ups for monitoring both in production and post specifically in context of web end product. And of course the whole between-the-lines of this production is the money saving for a non-profit organization factor and my being a quality obsessed perfectionist that works for them... conflicted!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]