FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switched to AVID want to move the attic off my SSD

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Haley
Switched to AVID want to move the attic off my SSD
on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:56:36 am

I love this place, you are the only ones who understand....as I look around my studio at all the shifty-eyed producers and make-up artists.

I just (forgive me if I cry) switched to AVID Media Composer, and no I'm not crying over that, just over Apple breaking my loyal heart. Just kidding, sort of;-)

I have set up my home editing bay so I don't have to work all the time in studio, which is great. BUT, I set up all of my apps to be on my SSD in my new imac, quad-core i7 with a 2tb 7200rpm drive as well. I'm new to AVID, but I'm loving the ease of transferring from FCP from all these years. I thought it would be a lot harder. As a FCP guy for the better part of a decade I always know where my media is going. In AVID, I understand when I open the app I dedicate where my media comes from and is written, and that's great! However, I can't seem to find a way to stop AVID from writing to my SSD in the Users>shared files. I love what AVID is doing, but I don't want to continuously write to my SSD drive, as I've been told to only keep my apps there and not write to the SSD if possible.

Does anyone here have a similar set-up with AVID on an SSD?

As usual, you guys rock. I feel like this is the only tech support I have at times. Thank you.

~Dylan Haley

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
Re: Switched to AVID want to move the attic off my SSD
on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:14:40 pm

When you create a project, you will notice 3 types. Private, Shared, and external. All 3 point to different locations. I'm not exactly certain of the actual file paths for the first 2 on a MAC, but the external option gives you the ability to navigate to any accessible storage location for your project folder/files.

When you open or create a project, notice the box with the folder icon to the right. Click on that and you can navigate to any volume and the external option will be set. If that volume is not accessible, it will automatically reset the location to the Shared Avid Projects folder until you navigate to the new external location.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Dylan Haley
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:00:34 pm

Thanks Ben,

I have been selecting "External" on that menu, and also in the folder I choose the external drive where the media will reside. The only thing is on my SSD under Users>Shared>Avid Media Composer> there is a folder that holds Avid Attic as well as FatalErrorReports, DSMLogFiles, Etc...(which is great, I just don't want Avid Attic to write to my SSD if possible.) Maybe its not as big a problem as I am being told to write to my SSD, but I'm trying to avoid it if possible, especially since I complete about 14 projects a week.

Everything else writes to the External that I chose, its just the back ups in Avid Attic. But maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly?

Thanks again;-)

~Dylan Haley

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:26:12 pm

Ah. I see I didn't pay attention to the whole question. /) My bad.

I don't know if you can do a re-direct of those storage locations from within the AVID. If you can find a way for the MAC OS to redirect those folders to another volume, that may work.

I know how to do that with Windows and Linux, but not specifically with OSx. I would think some method similar to Linux would do it as OSx is UNIX based, but Apple does a few things in a different fashion than most UNIX implementations.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Dec 6, 2011 at 10:14:10 pm

You can change your Temp files directory. Settings > General

But the Attic will always be written to the same drive that you save your project to. Select "External" when starting a project and choose which drive you want to save to.

Other than taking up valuable space on the SSD, and long-term issues of read/write/erase to SSD's, I haven't heard of problems saving files to that drive.
__

Return to posts index

Dylan Haley
on Dec 6, 2011 at 10:25:59 pm

Thanks guys.

I also got an email response from Kevin P McAuliffe (whose free tutorials here are awesome if you're making the FCP to Avid switch like I am) and he only keeps 4 saves on the Attic, and I'm going to do the same.

I'm not sure about all this SSD stuff. Yes I'm seeing some improvement, but I'm afraid to write to a drive that cost me a lot of money...hmmm. I'll let the Attic do its thing on my SSD with all the apps. If its the only thing writing to that drive, I have to take a chance that its OK. I mean, it IS a hard drive.

Anyway, as always, thanks to all of you.

If anyone else has an SSD with all your apps on it, and you run Avid MC, let me know what you do. Otherwise I'll follow Kevin's style of 4 copies to the Attic.

~Dylan Haley

Return to posts index

Cameron Warn
on Dec 6, 2011 at 11:37:42 pm

How have you set up your user account?

After a recent SSD upgrade and fresh install of everything I changed the location of my home folder to a separate HDD, so my user accounts are now not on the SSD system disk. Can't say I have really looked for the attic yet (not needed too), but in theory it should all go automatically to the alternate drive where all the user accounts now reside.

Return to posts index

Dylan Haley
on Dec 6, 2011 at 11:49:18 pm

Hi Cameron,

Yeah, I'm a little weary of changing my home folder I tried and my machine did some crazy things. I guess I don't have much experience with that. This is my first SSD and I've always worked in FCP setting my scratch disks, etc to an external. But again, I don't think its too much of a problem to have the Attic on the SSD.

If you're on a mac the Attic is located: /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer

Thanks Cameron.

~Dylan Haley

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:56:45 pm

Saving the attic files to disk is one more drag on performance. You got the SSD for speed. Saving attic files there is one more way it speeds things up.

- Larry Asbell

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:59:08 pm

The only time the attic isn't put here is if you are using ISIS, in which case it goes to the root of the ISIS drive that the project folder is on. But buying an ISIS wouldn't be a particularly cost effective way of solving this problem.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]