FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opinions needed Quality from PIX 240

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Kuntz
Opinions needed Quality from PIX 240
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:00:28 pm

I am considering the purchaser of a Sound Devices PIX 240 external recorder to capture directly to a SSD. As a shooter I awlays do my best to consider the needs of the editor. So I am looking to this forum for feedback from anybody that has worked with footage/files from this device. What I am most interested in is #1 Is the quality of the footage good or is their noise in it? #2 Are SSD's a good delevery device from the field to post?
FYI I am also considering the nano flash. But as a shooter, the PIX 240 seems to be much more versatile and the SSD cards seem to be a much better option. Any input from those of you in post would be a big help.

J

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Opinions needed Quality from PIX 240
on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:56:48 pm

I think the Pix is a great little product - certainly the codecs being used for recording are designed for post production. And the codecs are better than what you will find with a Canon 5D for example. Like "most" other codecs, DNxHD 145 and 175 for example are REC 709 codecs, so no RGB if that is a requirement. Perhaps PIX will update to support the new DNxHD 444 codec.

Once you get into higher date rate MPEG type codecs versus I frame codecs like DNxHD and ProRes - the trade-offs are more about recording time on disc versus generational quality of the codec, versus performance, etc. And that is a decision the production will make as part of the overall workflow decision.

I have always used Sound Devices products on my feature shoots for audio - the quality is excellent. I have yet to use the PIX directly but have seen DNxHD sample files. Other choices are the Cinedeck and I believe Blackmagic just announced DNxHD support in their field SSD recorder.

There are SSD docks that connect USB 3 for fast copy speed as long as the workstation/laptop supports that. Haven't done much digging for other connection types.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]