FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stills duration from AAF or EDL import

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Bruce
Stills duration from AAF or EDL import
on Dec 5, 2011 at 12:53:39 pm

Using MC6 I'm trying to import a timeline from external software via either AAF or EDL.

Generally it's working fine except for still image files (mainly JPEG), which when imported to the Bin, have a duration showing as '12:00:00:00' if I've used AAF, or '23:59:59:24' if I've used EDL.

When I try to use Clip Import to bring in the source image for this, it won't import. In the Console the error is 'Exception: IMPORT_TOO_SHORT'

Is there a way I can get round this? Can I maybe change the duration of the clip in the bin to only 1 frame so that the import won't be too short, or is there a way I can amend the EDL so that it contains a 1 frame duration time for the image?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Stills duration from AAF or EDL import
on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:07:52 am

I dont get this?

1) I understand that AAF is advanced audio file, anupdateed version of the OMF idea. Didnt know it could be used for stills.
2) EDL iis edit decision list. Just numbers from a timeline . There is no media in an EDL.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Stuart Bruce
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:39:34 am

I understand this, but the problem still stands.

1. AAF is not audio-only. It can be used to transfer picture edits as well as audio, for example exporting an AAF from Adobe Premiere which will then get imported by Avid Media Composer. It is an 'enhanced EDL' (but unfortunately it's much harder to edit manually than an EDL).

2. Yes these are just edit references, but AFTER I've imported the AAF or EDL, I want to import the media from the original files into Media Composer so that it all lines up. This has been working for video clips but if I've got a still image on my timeline, re-importing the original media is problematic.

Hope this makes my issue a bit clearer - thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 7, 2011 at 2:07:23 pm

I learned something there. thank you!
Ill goo and have a play with aaf with media other than audio.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Davey Cooperwasser
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:01:48 pm

I wish someone would give some advice on this as I am having the exact same problem. Importing a timeline from FCP 7 via Boris FX AAF transfer filled with jpeg's. The "thumbnails" are long stills being used as a guide for the animatic. All audio comes in fine, as well as a couple .mov files - just not the jpegs. The error it's kicking out is 'Exception: IMPORT_TOO_SHORT'

Return to posts index

Ron Loccarini
on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:05:42 pm

Hi ,I'm having this same problem.
did you ever get a solution.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Q Bryce Randle
on May 19, 2016 at 5:22:03 am

I got another solution to work tonight. I was getting the import too short error as I was importing an animatic that was cut in Premiere and transferred to Avid through Boris FCP Transfer. I found that if I went into the "duration" of a still and kept it at 10 seconds, it wouldn't work. However, my in to out time was 1:59:22 by premiere default so I made my still duration in Avid 180 seconds. It works now. Good luck to anyone looking.

If this is confusing please just repost and I will try to make more sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]